Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th August 2012, 05:27 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 18 TC1 images are out!

Steve, this is Virtualbox at the moment. I will try KVM when I get home (in my other computer). I could not get TC1 & TC2 to work either.

By the way, are these one of the issues you are facing?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=844463
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=848930

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
I don't think the partitioner works very well.
  • Once a partition is created, I am unable to change the partition size. I am having to delete the partition and recreate it.
  • Also, regardless of what capacity I enter, the partitioner creates only 500 MB space. Automatic partitioning creates bigger partitions without problems.
Chris Lumens replied on the mailing list to these questions - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...st/109491.html
Old 17th August 2012, 06:27 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

@nonamedotc
Did you try a USB boot on a bare metal?
I couldnt get past beyond the recovery shell on all the TCs.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:39 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Steve, this is Virtualbox at the moment. I will try KVM when I get home (in my other computer). I could not get TC1 & TC2 to work either.

By the way, are these one of the issues you are facing?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=844463
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=848930
The first matches my TC2 experience, but I don't have the details nor time to investigate.
Old 17th August 2012, 08:37 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
@nonamedotc
Did you try a USB boot on a bare metal?
I couldnt get past beyond the recovery shell on all the TCs.
Nope. I have not got past Virtualbox in any of the TCs so far. As of now, only TC3 shows any hints of working. Screenshot of the fist screen -

Link to the image - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/album....pictureid=1363

Last edited by nonamedotc; 18th August 2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 18th August 2012, 02:19 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Well, using VirtualBox, I got it installed, though the base install seems far more bloated than the previous minimal.
However, it wouldn't boot because it couldn't find a png file and apparently grub needs some sort of pretty background.

(Which is being unfair of course, it's TC 1 and still quite buggy, still, grub requiring a png file is the type of thing that makes me start ranting about those durn kids.....)
Old 18th August 2012, 03:45 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Grub don't neeeeeeeed noooooo steeeeeeenkin png file!

Crap! If they started putting that crap in by default, it appears I am going to have to spend time to strip it out. I wish they would at least make it a choice before sticking all the bloat crap in.

A bootloader should be just that.. a bootloader. nothing pretty.. nothing fancy.. just boot the darned OS as quickly and efficiently as possible. The more crap that is put in, the more chance that something will break and you have an unbootable system.
Old 18th August 2012, 04:00 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

@nonamedotc
Your link is broken.
Old 18th August 2012, 04:01 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Well, using VirtualBox, I got it installed, though the base install seems far more bloated than the previous minimal.
Well, that kind of explains why package customization is missing too! I have long felt that ease of package customization during install is one of the best points of anaconda! Looks like that's going away ...
Old 18th August 2012, 04:44 AM
Demz3

windows_7firefox

im sure someone said on one of the lists that the old Customization during install will not be returning in this new Anaconda.
Old 18th August 2012, 05:14 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

The Fedora Project: Almost ten years of solid innovation and progress ... uninterrupted by common sense. <....>
Old 18th August 2012, 05:28 AM
Demz3

windows_7firefox

i'll miss it but once installed its just as easy enough to yum the stuff up once the DE is installed
Old 18th August 2012, 05:35 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The Fedora Project: Almost ten years of solid innovation and progress ... uninterrupted by common sense. <....>
Brilliant!

It is really quite insane. Guess, I would have to install base system and install everything on top. It is definitely easy as Greg says - just a little inconvenient ...
Old 18th August 2012, 05:48 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

I always had to remove a bunch of stuff after installing from a LiveCD. so it doesnt make any difference to me!
Old 18th August 2012, 06:27 AM
Demz3

windows_7firefox

one problem i have with the New Anaconda is you can only install the 1 DE but once installed you have to do a groupinstall of another DE to have more than 1 DE/WM to log into i think scott pointed that out in one of the lists ages ago?
Old 18th August 2012, 11:26 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

The thing is, I try not to rant anymore. Two reasons--one, the fact that I don't like something, doesn't mean it's not good. More importantly, at some point, I realized that Fedora and Ubuntu, to pick the two most obvious, are far more popular than say, ArchLinux, which is probably the most popular of the Let's not include the kitchen sink distros.

And, it's like complaining about politics, very little is going to be done. When RH 6.x came out with the crippled text install, there was some disbelief from those who use RH and its clones at this next step towards making it nice for the masses, but then people adjusted--no one is going to suddenly change 100 servers from RH (or CentOS or whatever) to Debian or Ubuntu server.

RH is sort of in the same position as MS--they can, within limits, do whatever they want, and though folks may complain they'll keep using it because it's too much trouble to switch--and more importantly, it seems the vast majority of desktop users prefer things this way (or else they'd be using Arch, let alone Gentoo, or leaving Linux for BSDs)

It's all stuff that can be dealt with, but it makes more work.

Last edited by smr54; 18th August 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Tags
fedora, images, tc1