Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th August 2012, 11:29 AM
VN1980 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: How Many People Did You Influence To Use Linux?

Hi
In 2006, my Company wanted to Migrate to Linux as Windows was a costly affair for its size.
I tasted Red-Hat's Madrakes Linux. My issues at that time were "Excel" and "Power point" was not replaced by Linux's Office Suite in a decent manner. Pivoting is the power of Excel and PPT's animations are fantastic and I felt it can't be done in Linux.

Then in 2010 April, my sister gave me Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. That was an amazing Linux and the only issue I faced was stability - it was not stable for my requirements. Then I surfed through some 20+ Debian Linux. Then some body said RPM is better than Debian and you can try Suse, Fedora, Centos & like.

I tested CENT-OS liked its stability, speed, security & simplicity. But it was not windows friendly and not for a newbie like me. Suse is a cheating Linux in the sense the features of Live Boot was not available on Installation. Then finally I tried Fedota 15 and was 100% satisfied. Then I tried Fedora 16 DVD and now Fedora 17 DVD. I am amazed by the features and futuristic aspects of the Fedora.

I am recommending Fedora to those who want better computing experience. I have introduced 10 people, Fedora and all of them love it.

My only sadness about Fedora is that it's life cycle is very short and "Rolling Release" concept is not being followed.

The recent issues I faced are with the following:
a) reducing boot time through systemctl mask resulted in system crash and I am unable to undo it. I had to reinstall the entire OS
b) Fedora 17 is slowest compared with Fedora 15 & Fedora 16. Not able to increase the speed.
c) Revsior is not working well

Yet, I consider Fedora is the best Linux.
Yours
VN
Old 7th August 2012, 12:30 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Updated count: 42
Old 7th August 2012, 04:47 AM
tootal2 Offline

windows_7ie

I just installed fedora on a 4 year old desktop computer that i gaved a way to a poor woman living on 600.00 a month. She has never used linux and i dont think she will like it.
she like windows.

She will get the computer tuesday by ups. I will let you know what she says about linux.
Old 7th August 2012, 10:51 AM
VN1980 Offline

linuxchrome

Hi
Thanks for the gesture.

Kindly note People use "Applications" and not the OS as such.

Fedora applications are more or less like Windows and certainly people like it...

The only issue as of now is Fedora 17 is slow and getting slower day by day.
Fedora Project People have to do some thing for this aspect.

Yours
VN
Old 7th August 2012, 01:52 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN1980 View Post
Kindly note People use "Applications" and not the OS as such.
True, most people don't care so much as long as they can find and run their applications.

I try first moving prospective people to Thunderbird, Firefox, Chromium, Open-/LibreOffice and Gimp so they can get used to it on their existing operating system. When they do end up moving, the familiarity of these programs help counter the initial "this doesn't look like..." and "I want to go back! waa!" because even if the way to launch it is different, once it is launched they are in familiar territory.

Of course, this is providing their needs are met with Linux (or any other operating system) and they are willing to try it out.
Old 7th August 2012, 02:37 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

One place where I worked.. back in 1995.

Our contract was for the support of several supercomputers. All workstations were running SunOS/Solaris... and were threatened with Windows. I informed management that I couldn't guarantee security on windows for securing the center. Our infrastructure used early PKI (with internal signing certs) for user account administration, and everything we did depended on it. They were informed that Linux would work (that was what it was based on) better, more cheaply, and MUCH more secure than Windows.

That counted for about 25 PCs, plus the console log management for all control systems in the center.
Old 7th August 2012, 03:56 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

One of my friends recently asked for help with their Windows 7 laptop, which was riddled with a particularly nasty virus (one of those that persistently eludes multiple virus scanners). He didn't have a recovery disk, and he needed a usable system quickly for work, so I put F17 on it. Originally this was intended as a temporary measure until he could get a Windows install disk, but he's decided he likes it so much (including GNOME 3 I should add...) that he's planning to keep it. Although his work system (a civil-service-provided remote desktop) doesn't officially support Linux as a client, he's found the right people in tech-support to offer unofficial Linux support.

It's worth noting that he was already using FOSS software on Windows though, particularly OpenOffice.org, so giving up Windows-only programs like MS Office wasn't a problem.
Old 19th August 2012, 12:43 PM
jemadux Offline

linuxiceweasel

heh one i think but dunno if they use linux anymore
Old 20th August 2012, 05:17 AM
VN1980 Offline

linuxchrome

Hi
Currently 30 Million people use Linux.
5Million+ users are there for Fedora alone
Hence, people are there to use Linux.
Yours
VN