Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th August 2012, 12:37 AM
blaplante Offline

linuxfirefox
Scanner not recognized in Simple Scan

I have an HP L7680 Officejet Pro All-In-One. The printer is recognized on the network without difficulty. The scanner on the other hand is not recognized. Simple Scan under preferences just sees my web cam and that is all. The L7680 is on and I have rebooted a couple times without luck for it to be recognized. Any help appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 20th August 2012, 12:52 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Scanner not recognized in Simple Scan

It might be a stupid question - nevertheless - have you installed HP imaging drivers? If not, try installing hplip from te repository. That might be of some help. Cheers.
Old 20th August 2012, 03:24 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Also, if it isn't installed, after installing hplip, be sure that you have libsane-hpaio installed. For awhile at least, it wasn't pulled in as dependency, and the scanning part of Fedora's hplip wouldn't work without it. (Might not have just been Fedora, but I think Fedora was the only one where I was using the distribution's package as opposed to the source tarball from hplip).
Old 21st August 2012, 04:36 PM
blaplante Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi again,

I tried all the suggestions here yesterday and at least the L7680 showed under preferences even though it could not connect. Now here is one for you, today the L7680 is missing in preferences and just the webcam is showing just like when I started. I guess there is a gremlin in my PC! Any ideas out there or am I just going to have to setting for no scanner.

Thank you,
Brian
Old 21st August 2012, 06:26 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxfirefox

I would try removing it, then reinstalling with command line, using hp-setup -i <printer_address> and see if you have better luck. If that doesn't work, I'd probably try with an Ubuntu or other liveCD to see if it's a Linux or Fedora issue.
Old 24th December 2012, 07:48 PM
teancum144 Offline

linuxchrome

I had a similar problem simple scan couldn't find my HP Officejet Pro 8500 network printer/scanner, but only saw my locally attached USB webcam. I installed hplip-gui and it didn't recognize my printer either. However, in the hplip-gui application, I was able to manually add it via it's IP address (then it recognized it). Once hplip-gui recognized my network printer/scanner, simple scan also recognized it. Good luck!

Tags
recognized, scan, scanner, simple