Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:56 AM
Thetargos Online

linuxfirefox
USB gamepad not working on Fedora 17

I recently downloaded TuxKart (awesome MarioKart game clone!) and it prompted me to attach my old USB Logitech WingMan RumblePad to try and play it. However I noticed that my gamepad wasn't being picked up (either by applications or the joystick utilities).

Upon looking around the net, I found (as I it had been the case years before) that I was missing the right "device node", i.e /dev/input/js, upon further investigation I came to realize two things: Joystick support in the Fedora kernel has been built in (in the 2.4 kernel days, and to some extent the 2.6 kernel days it used to be a known fact for Joysticks that support should be built as a module, instead than into the kernel), this actually prompted this message, as a means to attempt to find out if this was only my case with the latest 3.5.2-1.fc17 kernel or somehow to my particular joystick, before pleading a bug, and request (with prior testing of course, even if that involves building myself a kernel with joystick support as a module instead) that support be made a module instead upstream.

I DO get the /dev/input/event# and /dev/hidraw# devices when attaching the gamepad, even force feedback events work (with the use of ff-utils) and accessing the /dev/event# device directly, only not the js* tools nor any other application that can use a joystick for input.

For the record all js* tools complain about arguments, example:

Code:
jstest: error reading: Invalid argument
Any hints?

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:39 PM
camico Offline

linuxopera
Re: USB gamepad not working on Fedora 17

Same problem here on Fedora 17, but I just had to install the package 'joystick-support'
Old 1st December 2012, 07:08 PM
Thetargos Online

By the way i had to install the kernel-modules-extras package to get the the missing drivers and then udev wools correctly create the missing device node.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
fedora, gamepad, joystick, usb, working