Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th August 2012, 09:20 AM
chu887 Offline

windows_7chrome
help! how to register a systemd service for starting X-window

I 'm using fedora 17 but not used to GNOME 3 ,so I uninstalled gnome desktop environment (including GDM login manager ) . For now , when the system started, it can't enter the X-window(I'm using awesome WM without any desktop env) and the tty1 is absolutely black without any cursor or word ,thus I have to press ctrl+alt+f2 to enter tty2,then login , then issue the command : startx ..... it will jump to tty1 and show X...

so , my question is :how can I register a service in systemd to start X-window automatically ? I wrote a file named startx.service in /usr/lib/systemd/system with the following content:

[Unit]
Description=Startx

[Service]
User=bob #uncomment this to run startx as desired user (in example bob), otherwise it will run startx as root
ExecStart=/usr/bin/startx

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

but it does not work.... help! any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:30 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: help! how to register a systemd service for starting X-window

Hello chu,

I can't help on the creation of the systemd way of starting X, but if you want to just use your window manager starting in runlevel 3 then the following thread might be useful:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...6&referrerid=0

It involves configuring your machine to start in runlevel 3 rather than 5 which should take you to a login prompt on the console rather than the "absolutely black" screen you mentioned. The manual page for xinit has a number of other examples of how to start X so that might be a good place for some ideas. If you want to boot into runlevel 5 with just your window manager, you might need to look in the /etc/X11/prefdm file. ben.
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:25 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

when you removed GDM, did you tell it to use a different desktop manager?

create the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and tell it what desktop manager to use.

For example, if you wish to use KDM as your desktop manager, create the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file with these contents:

Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
If there is no desktop file in /etc/sysconfig, it defaults to trying to use GDM. If you want to use a different one, thn you need the desktop file to tell it what to use.

Edit:

nsnbm was really close when telling you to look in your /etc/X11/prefdm file. That is what reads the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file and actually starts your desktop manager. You can scan through it and see what it is looking for in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop file to know what you need to put there for whichever DM you are using.

Last edited by DBelton; 22nd August 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:18 PM
chu887 Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for your replies. I got a solution here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Syste...le_terminal.3F

This is a pretty answer though several little troubles to be resolved...

Thanks for u again , but I do not want to use a huge Desktop environment any longer...

Best Regards!

Tags
register, service, starting, systemd, xwindow