Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th August 2012, 04:59 AM
LibreFiz Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
F17 Install Blank Monitor

I have been a Fedora user from the beginning. Started earlier with RH 5.2. Same HW setup has worked with F7 and F12.

I am trying to do a fresh install of F17 over my existing and working F12. My user files are relatively small and are backed up. Booting from a F17 install DVD, the initial screen comes up asking for install or troubleshooting. I can get to the displayed boot command line but I cannot access the alleged troubleshooting features. If I request a fresh install, two error messages appear, the first complaining that it install a floppy drive and the second saying that "rpcbind was terminated on signal". The boot then progresses, but soon the screen is blank and DVD activity has stopped. The monitor acts as if it is not being driven properly; I am not sure about this because my education did not include the reading and deciphering of pictures. <CTL>-<Alt> <F2> does not bring up a console but does change the dark background color slightly. I believe that it is only a monitor interface problem because of this and because after a while it goes to sleep to be awoken again by the shift key, for example.

A similar sequence happens if I use the F17 Live CD. No error messages. The CD drive works longer and then stops with a similarly blank monitor.

System consists of an ASUS M2NPV-VM, AMD Athlon 3800+, 2GB memory, Viewsonic VX2450WM LED 1080p monitor.

Please suggest what I should do. Thank you.
Old 19th August 2012, 06:05 PM
angryfirelord Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Re: F17 Install Blank Monitor

Strange indeed. My suspicion is on the video driver. What video card are you using?

Just out of curiosity, when you get to the grub screen, remove the quiet and rhgb boot options. The text will scroll by fast as it boots, but if you happen to see anything weird, it might give you a clue if something isn't being configured properly.
Old 20th August 2012, 03:52 AM
LibreFiz Offline

linuxchrome

This is a bit frustrating since F12 installed a couple of years ago with no problems. (except that audio didn't work.)

I am sure that you are correct that the video driver is the problem. I am not using a "video card" but rather are using the Mobo video. The std anaconda screen shows just like in the docs, asking for fresh installation of upgrade. Tab is supposed to take one to a command line below, AND IT DOES. But the arrow keys are supposed to allow one to select the troubleshooting option. The troubleshooting option is then supposed to be highlighted, BUT IT ISN'T.

I confess ignorance - I don't see the grub screen. Several screens flash by quickly.

If I just hit return for a fresh install, it blanks out the screen, but I do know that keystrokes are received since when I change to console 2, say, the screen gets darker. So, I conclude that the installer is still operating but its results are not properly displayed.

RTFMing the install docs more thoroughly, I see that the troubleshooting option is to be used for just this situation, i.e. where the installer screen goes blank. Supposedly in the troubleshooting area, one can select a more generic video driver. However as I said above, the troubleshooting option is not highlighted. So, I plan to try again, flying blind, as it were. Hitting the down arrow key once, hoping to go into the troubleshooting menu and also hoping that I can read what comes up

angryfirelord, thank you for your interest.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

This is an update for the legion of followers here at FedoraForum.org!

Well, I tried to get to the troubleshooting screen by hitting the down arrow key once and then return although the troubleshooting text was not indicated. No joy. The <tab> key does give me a command line that I can edit starting with "vmlinuz", but I don't know yet just what options I should include. The <esc> key also works as advertised giving me the boot prompt. I don't know yet what to enter there either. I did try "linux text" just to see what would happen. (This is one of the options described in the Fedora installation docs.) The screen went blank as usual.

Also, in earlier messages I forgot to mention that I have tried installing while using a different monitor.

The best thing that I can figure is maybe set up an X client on a separate host and run anaconda from there. I have to figure out how to do that from the boot prompt. Alternatively, maybe something can be done from the > prompt that can be accessed from <tab>.

Suggestions?
Old 20th August 2012, 11:29 PM
angryfirelord Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Quote:
I confess ignorance - I don't see the grub screen. Several screens flash by quickly.
The Grub screen is the initial bootup screen. It looks like this on the LiveCD:

If your system is a little slow at displaying the image, I'd press something like an arrow key until you see it. There is a timeout in Grub, but it should pause a little bit before booting the operating system. However, it'll interrupt itself if it detects a keystroke. Once you get it, you can press the Tab key and it'll display the boot options.

If you're still not seeing it, look in the BIOS settings and make sure that the onboard video adapter is selected as the primary video card. If it's not, then it may not come on right away.
Old 21st August 2012, 01:09 AM
LibreFiz Offline

linuxchrome

@angryfirelord:

Yes, that is the screen that I see (except for F17). Please forgive my ignorance and I'm sorry if I haven't been clear. The arrow keys don't do anything. Pressing the arrow keys don't change the "highlighting" as advertised. Pressing the down arrow once and then hitting return gets me the same as hitting the return key alone. The tab and escape keys do work. With the tab key, I get a command line starting with "vmlinuz" followed by a whole bunch of options, but I haven't figured out what options to add and what options to remove. What I thought I needed to do is to activate the Troubleshooting item which I can't seem to do. It is after I hit return on this screen that the screen itself then blanks out.

According to this Fedora Installer web page, in the "Troubleshooting menu", one can "install Fedora in basic graphics mode" to be used when "the installation program is unable to load the correct driver for your video card". From what I can see, this is what I need.

Last edited by LibreFiz; 21st August 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 21st August 2012, 02:43 PM
angryfirelord Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibreFiz View Post
@angryfirelord:

Yes, that is the screen that I see (except for F17). Please forgive my ignorance and I'm sorry if I haven't been clear. The arrow keys don't do anything. Pressing the arrow keys don't change the "highlighting" as advertised. Pressing the down arrow once and then hitting return gets me the same as hitting the return key alone. The tab and escape keys do work. With the tab key, I get a command line starting with "vmlinuz" followed by a whole bunch of options, but I haven't figured out what options to add and what options to remove. What I thought I needed to do is to activate the Troubleshooting item which I can't seem to do. It is after I hit return on this screen that the screen itself then blanks out.

According to this Fedora Installer web page, in the "Troubleshooting menu", one can "install Fedora in basic graphics mode" to be used when "the installation program is unable to load the correct driver for your video card". From what I can see, this is what I need.
That's good thing. I just suggested pressing a key so that you would get to that screen.

When you press Tab, move the cursor to the left and delete quiet & rhgb. It'll boot when you press enter.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:37 PM
LibreFiz Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
That's good thing. I just suggested pressing a key so that you would get to that screen.

When you press Tab, move the cursor to the left and delete quiet & rhgb. It'll boot when you press enter.
When I type <tab>, I get a line below that begins with "vmlinuz". It does have "quiet" but does not have "rhgb". I removed the former and continued. Much more output flew by. I didn't notice anything especially bad, but soon the screen blanked out, as usual.

I also tried to change the display with the usefbx option which did degrade the screen resolution, but still resulted a blank screen.

Was there anything in particular that I should be looking for in the unquieted output?

Incidentally, I changed DVD media for these attempts.
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:57 AM
angryfirelord Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Nah, I was just wondering if you see anything unsusual. Of course, if you don't know what you're looking for, then you won't see it. It's kind of lousy advice, so don't worry about it.

Ok, so there are two things we can try. One is to switch to the vesa driver.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/....html#id694488

When you get to Grub, go to the command options and type this:
Code:
xdriver=vesa
If that doesn't work, then another way is to try to boot it into text mode. This option is only available with the network install cd or the DVD. Again, at the boot prompt, add this:
Code:
linux text
If that also fails, then you might be able to get away with just the word "text".

Tags
blank, f17, install, monitor