<---- template headericclude ----->
friendly brands
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

friendly brands

Hi there!! I'm new at Linux (fedora 25).
    my question is about what brands are more compatible (less troubles) with linux, talkin about printers, usb net cards, and another devices. I just had a very bad experience with a usb net card supposedly compatible with linux (really a very bad experience... ). So, i want to learn what brands are "friends" hahahaha
    Thanks a lot,
    Carlos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: friendly brands

Intel (obviously!) but most important for WIFI
    HP - for Printers/Scanners/AIO... though ironically it is best to avoid their laptops due to UEFI weirdness
    Samsung stuff generally plays nice

Generally the peripheral scene is much healthier (and simpler) for Linux than it has ever been!

A few to avoid like the plague include Broadcom (wifi/ethernet), DELL (frequently use Broadcom chips even when spec says Intel), Atheros and Realtek can be a bit hit n miss. Nvidia and ATI just can't make their bloody mind up whether they want to play with the big boys or not pmsl

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

atheros PCI-E wireless cards are great, their usb devices are indeed hit and miss though. avoid realtek like the plague as they are nothing but trouble just like your broadcom device.

check out this database to find out what printers work and the level of support they offer

logitech peripherals work nicely but then any usb keyboard or mouse should be fine. backlit keyboards work too but the shortcut keys set by manufacturers may not. for example, my coolermaster storm devastator keyboard has the switch sharing SCROLL LOCK. in Fedora, Scroll Lock is still used so it just stops whatever process is running if I press it. Instead I set a new shortcut combination of CTRL+SCROLL LOCK to give the command 'xset led on' which works fine.

gordon64 Guest

IMHO you may be are going about it the wrong way.

Go to a shop or browse online and find specs that match what you want.

Then go to a search engine and see if people get their wifi /graphics/ethernet/sound etc working

sometimes Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) can help but they rely on the volunteers to update it such as
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/
    Last edited by gordon64; 9th April 2017 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 0.02$:

Vaios have always worked perfect for me, I have 8 or 9 of them (oldest from 1995 I think), all still work, all with some version of Fedora.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

sony no longer make pc or notebook devices. they ceased production in 2014

so if you find any for sale now they will be professionally refurbished units or for sale by existing owners only.

new viao devices are available made by a US Company who bought the rights to the name. they aren't for sale globally though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to buy Intel processors and video cards, HP printers/scanners, Logitech mice, and most Netgear routers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    sony no longer make pc or notebook devices. they ceased production in 2014

so if you find any for sale now they will be professionally refurbished units or for sale by existing owners only.

new viao devices are available made by a US Company who bought the rights to the name. they aren't for sale globally though.

The VAIO brand, while no longer SONY, has their main assembly building in Nagano, Japan, and I trust the japanese to deliver a good product. Since their denominations have remained the same, I suspect the innards are also "to be expected".

Next April I will do a long Japan trip, and I will carry with me several Fedora Live USB sticks, to test them all out, i.e. make a mess of their shopping center. I will then post an update here.

EDIT: maybe my japanese wife will get a well-deserved laptop upgrade. I have already bought 2 extra Vaios for her, but she won't use them, as she LOVES the keyboard and screen in her old Vaio (VGN-FS980), which still runs FC23 (and will remain so). We shall see.
    Last edited by bobx001; 27th April 2017 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually not had great luck with Sony, but that was years ago. They tended to have things very proprietary, and I would have trouble getting things working.
    Older thinkpads are often very good as far as compatibility. Though it uses (I think--and manufacturers will frequently change what chips they use), with wireless, I've had good luck with the Edimax https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-781.../dp/B003MTTJOY which usually works out of the box for me. (Although as the newest laptop I have is a few years old, I haven't needed to use it in years.

Intel and Atheros cards are both, in my experience, pretty well supported by now. As for printers, I recently got a Samsung multi function color laser, figuring the refills of toners would be cheaper than HP--then Samsung sold their printer division to HP. At any rate, most HP multifunctions are well supported. I haven't had a mouse or keyboard not work with Linux in years.

My own experience has been that with laptops, every integrated Intel card has worked without problem (in Linux--in FreeBSD, the newer Intels are not yet well supported).

All that being said, I'm with Gordon64, pick one that seems to fit your needs, then go online and google the model number with Linux and see what seems to be said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am liking the look of the "Dell Inspiron 15 5000 2-in-1" , specially the "proper keyboard" (no num keypad)
    does anyone have one of those ?
    I may ask my bro to bring me one next trip from the US.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't most Dells use Broadcom? (Although they're so popular, I'm guessing most are fairly easy to use with Linux.)

So, that might be problematic, but that's nothing more than a guess on my part.