Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:06 PM
Flo Offline

permanent change of owner for /dev/hdc

Hi,
I would like to change permanently the owner of /dev/hdc from root to my a user or enable a general access of all users to this drive. The problem is that this is the cdrom and a mountpoint in /media/cdrecorder does not satisfy all programs (like grip, cdplayer) and therefore I have to change it each time manually before I can mount those. The same applies for /dev/hda7 which is my data-hard-drive. I have to umount and mount after reboot to be able to write on that drive as a normal user.
Since the computer changes the made settings automatically back to before I have to perform this procedure everytime anew. In other forums this problem does not seem to be present so I assume that this is something specific for Fedora. I never had those Prblems with Suse (but some others).
Thanks for you help.
Flo
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:13 PM
james_in_denver Offline

Here's my /etc/fstab entry that does that, works just fine. (not I mount my device on "/cdrom". less typing for me )

/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,user 0 0

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:18 PM
Flo Offline

Great, my fstab entry looks pretty much the same and that actually allows me to do this umount and mount stuff. Here is my fstab
Quote:
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder iso9660 users 0 0
But I really would like to change the woner of /dev/hdc or /dev/hda7 permanently. Why does the computer change it back to how it was before after a reboot.
Thanks
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:19 PM
ghaefb Offline
Retired Community Manager

You can put 'chown user.user /dev/hdc' line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
(user = your username)

blog & sysinfo
Old 2nd March 2005, 09:00 PM
Northwood Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
But I really would like to change the woner of /dev/hdc or /dev/hda7 permanently. Why does the computer change it back to how it was before after a reboot.
Thanks
Ok, to accomplish something similar to this you can make a file in /etc/udev/permissions.d called something.permissions (replace 'something' with something apropriate) with a line like this:
Code:
 hdc:root:root:0666
After rebooting your user should be able to access the cddrive. To give your user write ability to the mount point of /dev/hda7 you can make your fstab entry for it similar to this:
Code:
/dev/hda7  /mnt/datadrive   filesystemthatituses   auto,users,umask=0111,dmask=0000,rw   0 0
I hope this helps.

Edit: I had the permissions wrong.

Last edited by Northwood; 2nd March 2005 at 09:42 PM.

Tags
change, or dev or hdc, owner, permanent