Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2005, 12:13 AM
versitycobalt Offline

Motherboards

I've been having quite a problem trying to run Fedora on my motherboards (same models), and am currently trying to sell them and then get something new. My question is, what motherboard have you found to work with Fedora Core with little to no problems?
Registered Linux User #384588

2 x Antec SX1040BII, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, ASUS nVIDIA GeForce MX4000 64MB 8x AGP, Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200, Seagate 7200RPM 60GB PATA HDD, & Memorex 16x8x16 PATA DL DVD+/-RW drive.

Coming soon...
Fedora Core 4
Old 14th June 2005, 12:21 AM
Firewing1 Offline

I think all Inted ones should be OK.. Never really had a problem with Linux & motherboards... It jsut works on everything ... Maybe you should try another distro to see if it's a hardware problem or if it's just FC that won't install...
Firewing1
Old 14th June 2005, 12:30 AM
versitycobalt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1
I think all Inted ones should be OK.. Never really had a problem with Linux & motherboards... It jsut works on everything ... Maybe you should try another distro to see if it's a hardware problem or if it's just FC that won't install...
Firewing1
The only problem is that I want to use FC and if I have to change the hardware to be able to run it, then so be it. I've tried other distros, but I just keep finding my way back to FC.

2 x Antec SX1040BII, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, ASUS nVIDIA GeForce MX4000 64MB 8x AGP, Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200, Seagate 7200RPM 60GB PATA HDD, & Memorex 16x8x16 PATA DL DVD+/-RW drive.

Coming soon...
Fedora Core 4
Old 14th June 2005, 06:55 PM
Firewing1 Offline

I know, but I mean to determine exactly what's wrong, use another distro for a day. If it works, then you know it's jsut FC that doesn't support that motherboard. If the other distro also can't run on that motherboard, then you know there's sometying messed in the motherboard. (Meaning get a knew one, is this happens)
It's my theory I follow: Pinpoint the problem, and you'll get your answer.
Firewing1
Old 14th June 2005, 10:44 PM
versitycobalt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1
I know, but I mean to determine exactly what's wrong, use another distro for a day. If it works, then you know it's jsut FC that doesn't support that motherboard. If the other distro also can't run on that motherboard, then you know there's sometying messed in the motherboard. (Meaning get a knew one, is this happens)
It's my theory I follow: Pinpoint the problem, and you'll get your answer.
Firewing1
I understand, but I can't even get Windows XP or Server 2003 Enterprise to run on it and I have the drivers for the hardware from ECS to use with it. I have two boxes, completely identical (see signature) that are both having the same exact problem. It's not that the motherboards are 'bad' as in fried/ESS, but just not designed very well. I've gone through two of these boards just trying to upgrade the BIOs alone.

For me, I can't use anything else other than FC. It just doesn't feel right for me. It's like driving a right hand drive car in the United States. Nothing wrong with the car, just doesn't feel right.

I have no problem selling the hardware (if I can) and getting new stuff, I just thought I would ask what others are using that have FC running on them flawlessly. I figure if enough people answered I'd be able to find a couple people using the same board without issues. Just trying to do some research on what board to get next.

Coming soon...
Fedora Core 4
Old 15th June 2005, 03:26 PM
Firewing1 Offline

I see... Well, I would recommend a Dell if you're gonna get new system's, you customize your system to how you want it, and then they ship it to you You'll just need an extra HD for Linux, or you'll need to buy a partitioner. Or, of course, you can always just erase XP. But, I would keep it for backup operations if Linux fails and vice-versa. I'd get a 80 GB HD, and then install ntfsprogs-1.9.4-1, and then finally QTparted. With QTparted, you'll be able to re-size Windows down to 20 GB so Linux had 60 to it's own
Firewing1

Tags
motherboards