Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2005, 06:21 PM
DeveloperMCT Offline

linux is like the matrix!

After several years exculsively in the windows world, I am fighting tooth and nail my way into the linux world. The fighting is between me and my ignorance.

Once I got linux installed it was as if I took the reg pill....or was it the blue pill?....anyways..

I had a few realizations. Linux was actually cool, and there is a possibility I could do most of what I do in linux....and maybe, just maybe I wouldn't have to reformat every 6 months to get some performance back.

Now that I want to have linux on my primary workstation, I'm having all kinds of problems...and they are noob problems. I don't know how to install programs. It was a miracle that I got my video card drivers installed. I cannot for the life of me, get vmware installed. I was using gnome, which was the default for me, and I was getting used to it and had the desktop configured just the way I wanted it, until something froze up and had to reboot. Now when I get back into gnome, any window that comes up doesn't have a titlebar and is stuck at the top of the screen.

So now I'm in KDE trying to get that the way I like it, but wanting manythings I got used to in gnome.

What other desktop systems are there besides kde and gnome? Which is most poplular?
Old 15th July 2005, 06:30 PM
tejas Offline

If you see KDE and GNOME, you got the best

there is also XCFE and TWM.

The later is not very useful, and is used as a fallback if you have no memory at all

I've never tried XCFE. Anyway, yum groupinstall whatever you want
I Was Counted! Registered Linux User #384707

BASH && Beer && Bass! Now THAT makes sense!!
Old 15th July 2005, 06:32 PM
DeveloperMCT Offline

thanks. is there a way I can reinstall or fix gnome without messing anything up? I'm hoping I don't have to reformat and do this all over again.
Old 15th July 2005, 06:42 PM
vishnumrao Offline

Gnome is screwed up only in the user account or is it screwed up in the root too?

I recently had a similiar problem with one of the usernames. I merely deleted the user . while deleting the user it will ask if you want to remove the settings and temporary files too. Answer yes. then reboot and add the new user again.

If gnome is screwed in the root account , I have no idea.

Is your system upto date. Try a yum update which may install some updated rpms for the screwed up things. (Jus hope for a miracle)

Cheers,
Vishnu.
Running FC6 on AMD64 3000+, Asus K8N Mobo, 1.5Gb PC3200 ram, Nvidia Fx 5200 128Mb Graphics card, SB Audigy 2 Value sound card, Two Samsung ATA 100 hard disks of 160 and 80 Gb,D-Link DWL-G510 wireless pci card and Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 channel speakers.
Old 15th July 2005, 06:52 PM
DeveloperMCT Offline

is yum update that blue "network alert icon"? I have tried to do several updates with that. I have tried several times to "update all" and I get dozens if not hundreds of pestering pop ups telling me things are not signed.

If not, where do I find it?

I'm going to do that delete user thing and try that. thanks
Old 15th July 2005, 06:54 PM
vishnumrao Offline

no just open the teminal and type yum update. then it will list all the updates available and ask permission to download. type y and enter. it will do everything for you.

cheers,
Vishnu.
Running FC6 on AMD64 3000+, Asus K8N Mobo, 1.5Gb PC3200 ram, Nvidia Fx 5200 128Mb Graphics card, SB Audigy 2 Value sound card, Two Samsung ATA 100 hard disks of 160 and 80 Gb,D-Link DWL-G510 wireless pci card and Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 channel speakers.
Old 15th July 2005, 06:54 PM
DeveloperMCT Offline

fyi - this is fedora core 4. Is 4 not as stable yet? I ask because I think it is new.
Old 15th July 2005, 06:56 PM
vishnumrao Offline

No its very very stable indeed. I have been using it since the day it was released. Really impressed with FC4. go ahead use FC4.
Old 15th July 2005, 07:40 PM
margni Offline

I'm always slow to upgrade, but how do I upgrade from FC3 to FC4, and not lose the settings, and other stuff that I've accumulated?

I'm not much for crash and burn, and so far I haven't... But my gnome has freaked out also, and I've lost my applications launcher. (the applications launcher where I get all my programs like the windows start button)

Will upgrading fix this?

BTW... This has been a great teacher of command line for me, as it'll all come up from terminal, but not from the graphics...

Thanks in advance for advice...

Tags
linux, matrix