Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th October 2005, 06:04 PM
b3nny Offline

Arrow Small Steps..

I guys i have my fedora core 4 x64 installed (GNOME) and I used yum via command line to download and install all the packages..

Everything is pretty much working great... i have a couple of software questions for you..

1. Once apps are downloaded what is the default directory.. or path to find the apps.. as there are no shortcuts on my desktop.

2. I think i just type in the app name in the terminal to run it .. is this correct?

3. What are some cool beginner (easy) apps i can play with to spruce up my desktop.

Thanks for the input. I am having fun with linux thus far and think that fedora core 4 has been the easiest to use thus far. Also if there are any commands required could you please briefly show me them too! (Yes i dont mind reading the manual as well)

Thanks !!
Old 6th October 2005, 06:14 PM
Twey Offline

Quote:
Once apps are downloaded what is the default directory.. or path to find the apps.. as there are no shortcuts on my desktop.
Depending on the program, they tend to add themselves to your menu. You can use rpm -ql <package> to find all the files installed by <package>.
Quote:
What are some cool beginner (easy) apps i can play with to spruce up my desktop.
#1: KDE GNOME's nice, but KDE has much more eye-candy and customizability.
#2: SuperKaramba, or gdesklets if you stick with GNOME.
#3: 3ddesktop. Downloadable from the jpackage.org repo.

Tags
small, steps