Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th December 2005, 01:24 PM
dndfan Offline

Resizing partitions and migrating users

Hello,

What started out as an experiment has got me SO hooked on Fedora. Touching story, really. However, now I have noticed that my ever-expanding interests do not fit on the tiny partition I had initially designated for Fedora. So, my question is: how can I resize partitions (relatively) safely? I already have a larger partition with space to spare; I would like to avoid using Partition Magic as much as possible, but if it's the only option, what the hey... I may still not be experienced enough to use a command-line environment, especially when dealing with such...important things. But, anythng will do, as long as the risks are fairly low.

Once I have done the resizing, I would like to move from root to a regular user, while preserving my environment as much as possible. Would copying all the contents of the /root directory to /home/user suffice?

Many thanks in advance for the knowledgeable answers to my many and foolish questions,
The DnD Fan
Old 21st December 2005, 08:51 AM
dndfan Offline

err...bump!?
Old 21st December 2005, 09:14 AM
Zigzagcom Offline

dndfan,
use the search facility on the forum. This subject has been covered extensively...probably why no one is answering, wanting to do the work for you...

search for "partioning" & "resizing partition"

Last edited by Zigzagcom; 21st December 2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 21st December 2005, 11:53 AM
dndfan Offline

Humble apologies to everyone whose time I have wasted and many thanks to you for pointing it out in a polite manner, probably more polite than I deserved anyway.

Tags
migrating, partitions, resizing, users