Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th February 2006, 06:29 AM
Beomoss Offline

Question no text console, improper video mode?

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with my display, such that I'm unable to get a text console. I boot my system, to see "Cannot display this video mode" on my monitor, rather than the typical system-startup messages. If I wait long enough for the system to fully boot, X starts fine, and I'm able to log into an X session.

The issue seems to be related to my Dell system; The following is a page from Dell support:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...dn=FA1079260#0

But their reccommended solution doesn't help at all. Can anyone help me out here? I'm not even sure where to begin with this one; my natural inclination was to re-install the nvidia drivers (I'm using a GeForce 6800 GT if that helps), but as my system is completely non-functional unless it's in an X server, that's not an option. Attatched is my xorg.conf.

Can anyone give me a hand here?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 27th May 2006, 08:26 AM
schneis Offline

I'm experiencing what may be the same problem, but with non-Dell hardware. X works fine once the system finally starts it. The problem (for me) is that I'm used to working from the text console.

The problem is specific to one LCD panel that I have - one that I need to use. I'm running FC5 with the latest patches (just a basic install & I have reinstalled a couple times with the same results - text consoles during the install work fine).

I've been able to track the problem down to when udev starts in /etc/rc.sysinit. udev is changing the text mode video refresh rate from whatever the BIOS default is, to something that is just too much for my LCD.

I've been fighting this for about a month and keep coming up with nothing. Can anyone help???
Old 27th May 2006, 09:39 AM
solarisman Offline

Beomoss,

Your post says you have a 6800GT, your xorg.conf shows a 6600. Which is correct? Are you using the livna drivers or the stock nVidia ?
Old 27th May 2006, 09:56 AM
schneis Offline

I can't answer for Beomoss, but I'd read his problem to be with the text-mode console, not with X.

In any case, it looks like I had to post about my problem to finally find the solution (or at least one that will work).

I'd previously tried the vga=ask parameter to the kernel in Grub, only to have it return a rather short list - the 80x25 mode listed was 0x0f01 and selecting it did not change my problem. Based on seeing other VESA modes described elsewhere on the web, I tried the 80x25 mode that they had listed - 0x0301. That was enough to keep udev from changing the refresh rate on my text console and will all me to get back to work on this system.

Tags
console, improper, mode, text, video