Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 23rd June 2006, 04:14 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflames
What did you do to get gdm working?
Well, it was kind of a rat maze. I think it came up in a plain or safe mode, I set the session to kde or xfc then I set it to log in the configuration mode. After loging in you chnage the Theme to plain. Eventually you have to set your default session to kde and don't try and open any gtk application, they just will not work.

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 23rd June 2006, 04:35 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry
I believe there was an issue brought to light the other week with yumex having a serious flaw that could potentially cause your symptoms. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest you boot into runlevel 3 and see if a standard yum update can fix your issues.

Also, stop using yumex, I think it's basically borked atm.

EDIT: Here's the thread http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...ighlight=yumex I was mentioning

Thanks for posting that. Yes, I read that thread too. Looks like I really should switch to Smart? Very cool how you can set a priority level for the repositories.

I did try the init 3 - yum update no luck

This kind of thing sure make you see the "power" of Linux. My system is basicly broken and yet it is still running! My gf used it for 3 hours yesterday looking up craft stuff on the NET and no complaints other then "it doesn't look the same as it did" cause it was running kde, not gnome.

Hey lightbulb, maybe it's time to try and install enlightemnet? I have read some very favorable posts about it lately. Of to investigate...

Later, Best of Luck to all,
Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 23rd June 2006, 07:49 PM
inflames Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcLJr
Well, it was kind of a rat maze. I think it came up in a plain or safe mode, I set the session to kde or xfc then I set it to log in the configuration mode. After loging in you chnage the Theme to plain. Eventually you have to set your default session to kde and don't try and open any gtk application, they just will not work.

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.
Thanks for the info, but yesterday, while I was messing with the system, trying to fix this problem, I eventually broke it even more.

So, in the end, I just reinstalled FC5 as, after that, I couldn't do anything more to fix it.

Anyway, good luck coming up with a solution for that.
Old 24th June 2006, 12:46 PM
Deady Offline

Having the same problem
Old 25th June 2006, 11:22 AM
Deady Offline

up.

here is log of trying to start gdm-setup:
Code:
[root@deadybook ~]# gdmsetup

(gdmsetup:6676): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk
-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

(gdmsetup:6676): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon from file '/usr/share/pixmaps/gdm-setup.pn
g':
        Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/pixmaps/gdm-setup.png'

i created symlink: /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders -> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders
but problem remains. ("No such file or directory" message doesn't appear any more)
Old 25th June 2006, 03:18 PM
Deady Offline

OK. I solved it.

You need to erase librsvg2-2.14.4-1.fc5.1 package
Code:
rpm -e librsvg2-2.14.4-1.fc5.1
On my machine it complained about missing directories in /etc/gtk2.0/i386-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders, so i just created this file (I left it empty). After it continued complaining, but when I tried
Code:
>yum check-update
librsvg2.i386                            2.14.4-1.fc5.1         updates
>yum update
now everything works fine.

I suppose the problem was in yumex.
Old 25th June 2006, 03:30 PM
Deady Offline

sorry, I forgot. You also must create symlink:
/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders -> /etc/gtk-2.0/i386-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
Old 26th June 2006, 04:37 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

Thanks Deady,
I'll try this later. Whatever it is that happened messed with all the gtk application. That's a lot of aps!

Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 13th July 2006, 05:58 AM
JeremyFr Offline

same problem here and when I ran the command to remove the librvg rpm it said it wasn't installed. This is proving to be a big problem to me and being new to linux I'm not quite so guru level with it as some of you are so please any help would be great in this issue.
Old 13th July 2006, 04:34 PM
ibbo Offline

It did this to me too.

I dropped libsvg as mentioned (which interestingly was double installed, no doubt a cause of the issue). Dropped one of them and no joy, dropped the second (which removed much of gnome in the process).

Re-installed removed gnome components and back to normal.

Yea its not a 2 minute job, but it took less that 1/2 an hour to get it back to how it was once i sussed what needed to be done.

Ibbo
Linux user #349545
(GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

Tags
killed, png, recognition, update, yesterday, yumex