Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 29th July 2006, 10:08 PM
Rocket Boy Offline

Thinking of switching my recording box to FC5, but have questions :p

Hi. I'm considering switching my recording computer to Fc5 x64 from Windows XP. My questions are... Is there any reason not to try it if I back all my stuff up? I mean, will it hurt my computer in any way to reformat and install FC5 not like it, and go back to Windows? Also: in Windows I have a partition for the OS, a partition for programs and documents, and a partition for my recording files. Should I do something similiar in FC5 and if so, how much should i dedicate to the OS(i have 72 gigs to deal with) and how do I configure FC5 to use them?
Old 29th July 2006, 10:09 PM
Rocket Boy Offline

Also, what exactly will I need to do to setup FC5 in this way(getting rid of old stuff) and what would I have to do if I decide to get rid of FC5 and go back to Windows.
Old 29th July 2006, 11:51 PM
Blisterpeanuts Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy
Hi. I'm considering switching my recording computer to Fc5 x64 from Windows XP. My questions are... Is there any reason not to try it if I back all my stuff up? I mean, will it hurt my computer in any way to reformat and install FC5 not like it, and go back to Windows? Also: in Windows I have a partition for the OS, a partition for programs and documents, and a partition for my recording files. Should I do something similiar in FC5 and if so, how much should i dedicate to the OS(i have 72 gigs to deal with) and how do I configure FC5 to use them?
You might want to try running a live CD version of Linux before you blow away your Windows partitions. There doesn't seem to be a Fedora live CD but there are dozens of others, so you can at least test your hardware. The latest live CD/DVDs boot Linux and allow you to store settings and data on your hard drive. Good luck!
Old 29th July 2006, 11:55 PM
Rocket Boy Offline

Alright, good plan. I have used FC4 before on my other computer and it worked well, i p orbably should have mentioned

Any suggestion though how much hd space to dedicate to fc5 if i do go that way?
Old 30th July 2006, 12:10 AM
Rocket Boy Offline

Since I own all the programs on my computer(and can just reinstall them)... and have backed up all important data... There's no harm for my computer in trying it as long as I dont mind possibly having to reinstal windows right?
Old 30th July 2006, 08:06 AM
twoeyes Offline

no, nothing bad can happen.

Tags
box, fc5, questions, recording, switching, thinking