<---- template headericclude ----->
FC5 not able to run offline
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    sotos Guest

Question FC5 not able to run offline

Dear Forum,

I have installed FC5 and is running fine when I am online (LAN network)
    But when I take my laptop home to work offline it freezes during the booting process.
    I loads up services and when it reaches - starting message bus... it freezes.

I have started an interactive booting process, skiping this service and some others on the way and it seems to be ok but then the x-server fails to load...

Any suggestions?
    thanks,
    sotos

PS: I have istalled quite a few things since and I would hate to reinstall FC5 again!

markjensen Guest
    Can you boot when plugged into a home router/LAN?

sotos Guest
    At home I have ISDN and I can't use it since I cannot boot at all. At the office I have a LAN connection and everything goes smoothly... I don't know what is happening...
    s.

markjensen Guest
    Who installed and configured your Fedora at work?

Does it connect to and require some network resources? It sounds like it does, for whatever reason.

sotos Guest
    Well, I did. I connect via samba to two window's servers but there is nothing listed in /etc/fstab. So what is it looking for ???

sotos Guest
    Now that I think of it, I also use a windows-attached printer. This printer is shared from a windows server and It connects automatically when I boot FC5 online in my office... Do you think that is looking for that printer? hmm...
    s.

markjensen Guest
    Possibly, but I am not an expert. Sounds like you may be on to something with that, though.

sotos Guest
    Well, finally the problem comes down to the Xserver. I have removed all the services that caused the problem and everything went fine but then (when offline) gdm will not start. I get a message related to static fonts... What is this that it can be found when online and not when offline?
    s.

pete_1967 Guest
    Cehck your /var/log/messages and /var/log/gdm/\:0.log for possible error messages. I know that gnome doesn't like if it can't get fully qualified host name so you could try to add one to your /etc/hosts for the IP# on your homelan and to the end of localhost name string (if IP# host doesn't do it).