Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2007, 11:02 AM
dudds Offline

Application Start Up Times

Help!! When I first installed FC 6 just over a week ago I was quite impressed with the times applications seemed to start. I was previously using Ubuntu and I thought that the application startup times under FC6 were much better.

But I don't know what I've done, but now applications are taking ages to start up and it's not related to disk activity. When I click on the menu item for an application I can see a very brief amount of disk activity, then no there is no activity what so ever for a period of time and then finally a burst just before the application comes up on screen.

For example loading the terminal program was just times at just over 11 seconds!!! This used to load almost instantaneously. Evolution takes 20 seconds, GnomeBaker nearly 13 seconds etc etc.

This is all on a freshly rebooted computer with no background jobs running high CPU (at least nothing that Top reports on). I'm at a loss, has anyone experienced this in the past? I'm open to suggestions.... anyone??

Thanks,
David
Old 8th January 2007, 11:41 AM
dudds Offline

I just performed a reboot of my system and I now get application startup times that are significantly faster. For example around a second for the Terminal, under 4 seconds for Evolution. It's interesting to note that this time the startup times seem to be due to disk as I see the activity light on the whole time while the application is loading.

So I am wondering what is going on with the system when the applications are taking so long to load. This has happened twice to me today. Any ideas?

Tags
application, start, times