Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th February 2007, 12:00 AM
Pinn2 Offline

Cross Compile Howto?

Hi All

I've Googled around and searched here without success so can someone possibly point me in to right direction.

I have a few old Sony Picturebook machines that are 266Mhz Pentium II based and only 64MB of RAM, while they are pretty useless for most things they have 1024x480 screens and built in cameras and are therefore extremely useful for monitoring type applications (Ethereal, SNMP etc type stuff). I've got one setup with FC4 and XFCE and while functional it's painfully slow (mainly due to thrashing).

Due to the restrictions of FC5 and FC6 requiring a minimum of 128MB to do the installation I decided to compile my own Kernel based upon 2.6.20 to install on the machine, stripping out all the drivers and modules I don't need (this should reduce the footprint quite dramatically), I'll probably also end up compiling my own XFCE version once I've done the compile on the machine.

Now while there are a few HOWTO's around on compiling the Kernel I don't intend to compile the Kernel on a 266Mhz machine when I have a perfectly good Core 2 Duo machine that'll do it in a fraction of the time. Therefore can anyone point to a good up to date Howto on cross compiling using the GCC compiler? Else can anyone give me advice on how to go about it?

TIA

P

Tags
compile, cross, howto