Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:45 AM
dust_ Offline

uninstalling gnome stuff

Is there a way to completely uninstall all gnome/gtk related stuff off the system without a bunch of commands so that I can install just gnome-base and not all the other crud that the isntallation installs by default?
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:17 AM
leigh123linux

So you want to uninstall gnome then reinstall it ?

If you want to uninstall all of gnome try

su -
yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"

or

su -
yum grouperase "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Last edited by leigh123linux; 2nd April 2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:25 AM
dust_ Offline

I want to remove all the gnome apps and just have base gnome for the few gtk apps I'll have installed.
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:06 AM
stevea Offline

Try pirut (applications->add_remove_software) and check through the Gnome package folder.
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:38 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Be aware of dependencies that might get removed in the process.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:48 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123
So you want to uninstall gnome then reinstall it ?

If you want to uninstall all of gnome try

su -
yum groupremove GNOME Desktop Environment

or

su -
yum grouperase GNOME Desktop Environment
Shouldn't that be:

yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Wayne
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:06 AM
dust_ Offline

Trying to avoid using gui tools for managing software. I prefer to thoroughly know my system tools as best I can.
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:24 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Try something like rpm -qa |grep gnome > ~/Gnome_packages When it'sdone, look at the file Gnome_packages in your home dir and do yum remove gnome_packagename1 gnome_packagename2, until you get all the packages listed. If you know what is what, this may be a good way to go, but still be sure to look at the list of dependencies.

Or you could do as Leigh123 suggested and yum groupremove "Gnome Desktop Environment" and again watch for dependencies

There are just some times when GUIs are your best option, and (this is only my opinion) I think this is one of those times. Unless of course you know exactly what you want to install after removing.

I wanted to remove Gnome myself though not for the same reason. I wanted to use just KDE so I figured I didn't need Gnome, but removing Gnome was going to take KDE with it along with rpm and yum and bash and many other things. I settled for keeping Gnome.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:48 AM
dust_ Offline

It makes no sense that removing gnome would take rpm/yum/bash/etc.. with it. What an absolutely retarded design!
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:59 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Fedora is gnomecentric. Some will argue that. I have found removing gnome will just lead to problems. Some will definitly argue that. Some have successfully removed gnome totaly and just use xfce or kde. With huge hard drives and mega RAM and high powered CPUs I really dont see the point. I use KDE and XFCE and also have Gnome, Fluxbox and Enlightenment installed. I strongly suggest following Leighs advice if you really have to do this. If it were me though I wouldnt worry about it. Search this topic, this thread has existed quite a few times before in the last year or so.
Old 2nd April 2007, 05:17 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

No it doesn't make any sense but I assure it it happened. However, I just ran it again, and I don't see them in this list.(an impressive list just the same).

I have a semi broken FC6 install. (another partition on the same HDD) and it has selinux and prelink problems. Perhaps the problem with selinux and prelink caused a mis-set a dep (?) (if that is possible) It was that partition that it wanted to take bash and rpm.

It still want's to take KDE and pirut and system-config-everything

Perpetual Newbie
--

411874 Get Counted

Tags
gnome, stuff, uninstalling