Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th April 2007, 07:19 PM
Tux_in_Redhat Offline

Exclamation Not a Valid Block Device?

Just the other day I was able to mount my USB (not like a plug&play device -- USB's and me don't get along). Anyway, when I tried to do that (mounted /dev/sda1 on FLASH/), Linux told me that it wasn't a valid block device. I held my breath (I have a lot of stuff on there ) and tried to recreate the device, thinking that somehow I needed to format it. However, I wasn't able to use mkfs (mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1) on the device, reading the same error.
Anyone know the problem? I looked on some other forums, and they started talking about "ghosts". I have no idea what that is. I'm willing to back up my stuff on disk if necessary.
Note: I have FC5 with no Internet and a small 5G hard drive( :( )
I would prefer to have .rpm packages, but for simple stuff (like tutorials), .tar.gz type files are good.

Tags
block, device, valid