Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th November 2007, 03:24 PM
Alex Lang Offline

Fedora 8, Pulse Audio, 2 Audio Cards

I have a fresh install of Fedora 8. Audio was giving me fits. I've narrow down what I think the issue is and am requesting suggestions on how to resolve.

I have an AMD64 system with motherboard audio that I don't use. It is disabled in the BIOS. I have a SB Live! PCI card that is my primary audio. I have two issues:

1. PulseAudio insists on making the VIA_82XX device (the onboard device) the default audio device. I'll go into the Pulse Mixer and change the default but it doesn't persist across logins. Is there a way to make Pulse remember my choices and configurations from previous sessions.

2. It seems real odd to me that Pulse is using the via-82xx.so driver even when the motherboard audio is disabled. Since I'm just using the kernels from the distro, I finally just went in a deleted the via-82xx.so driver from /lib/modules, but that seems an unreasonable solution. It would seem to me that Pulse and the via-82xx driver should honor the fact that I've disabled the onboard audio from the bios and not even show it in the Pulse choices.

Note that I have gone into Admininistration->Sound Card Detection and made the SB Live! the primary audio card. Pulse still insisted that the VIA onboard audio was the default audio until I deleted the drivers.

Thanks,
Alex

Tags
audio, cards, fedora, pulse