Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:11 PM
Ned Offline

[SECURITY] Java j2re 1.4.2_05 released

Hi all,

Don't know how many people spotted this last week, but Sun released a security fix for the java plugin

details here

download j2re 1.4.2_05 here

Make the downloaded .bin file executable and execute to extract the rpm. Then install the rpm. Don't forget to update your symlink to your browser(s) plugin directory (you'll need to do this for each browser you use

I'm guessing a lot of people use this plugin but it never gets updated once installed.

Ned

EDIT: Updated links

Last edited by Ned; 23rd July 2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 24th July 2004, 10:39 AM
rkl Offline

Might find one soft-link is "mostly" good enough

Most Gecko-based browsers on linux do actually scan /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins at startup, so you might find something like:

ln -s -f /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

might be good enough to cover at least Gecko browsers (and let's face it, Gecko is the best rendering engine out there ). Of course, it would be nice if Sun's Linux RPM would actually put at least that soft-link in - c'mon Sun, get it done!
Old 14th August 2004, 03:11 AM
Ned Offline

firefox doesn't - I had to install the link for mozilla and firefox individally

But I agree - would be darn nice if the rpm could scan for installed browsers and update the link

Ned

Tags
j2re, java, released, security