Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th January 2008, 06:34 AM
fart_flower Offline

Refresh rate problem

My Acer AL2416W is stuck at 1920x1200x50Hz. What's the secret to getting 60Hz? There is currently no "60 Hz" option in the drop-down menu found at System > Preferences > Hardware > Screen Resolution, but it used to exist before installing the nVidia drivers. (The drivers are working fine, but no faster than 50 Hz.)

I have fiddled with the xorg.conf file with various "solutions" from Mr. Google, but the only one that made any difference was adding a "modeline" from gtf, which then gave me a choice between 50Hz and 51Hz.

Currently my xorg.conf file has been reset to it's immediate post nVidia drivers installation state, which noticeably lacks a "monitor" section:
Quote:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Here's some more funky information:

Up until yesterday, I was using Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, but wanted to give Fedora a shot for various reasons. (CFS kernel feature being one of them.) In Gutsy Gibbon I had a similar (identical?) problem that affected the "smoothness" of compiz-fusion.

Ubuntu gave me the option of 50Hz and 60Hz in the drop-down menu, but I could never change them in Gnome. Sometimes the system would boot with 50 Hz, sometimes with 60 Hz. 50/50 random chance.

If it booted with a 50 Hz refresh rate, the drop-down menu would say it was selected, but I could never change it to 60 Hz. Instead, I would Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to reset X and hope for 60 Hz. If it was indeed 60 Hz, the drop-down menu would show 60 Hz was selected. Bizarre...

Furthermore, in both cases, my monitor's on-screen-display would alway claim I was receiving a 60 Hz signal. But when Ubuntu was running at 50 Hz, compiz effects were noticeably stuttering. However, when it decided to run at 60 Hz, effects were smooth like astro-glide on ice.

So now I'm giving Fedora a shot, but for the life of me, I can't get 60 Hz.

Any hints? I want smoothness, not stutteriness. (And before anyone suggests it, I'm very certain this is not a compiz settings problem.)

Tags
problem, rate, refresh