<---- template headericclude ----->
ICAClient Issue (possibly Java)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question ICAClient Issue (possibly Java)

Hi there,

Was just wondering if anyone out there can give some help regarding logging into my work account.

The intranet doesn't state that a MS pc is required, however when launching applications it fails. It also says that the Citrix ICAClient is required, but I think this is nonsense as it always uses Java. Unfortunately, this is the only time that the Java applet doesn't work

The helpdesk told me to install the ICAClient and choose the option 'Local Client'

Everything has been installed correctly and working such as Java and ICAClient. I have done all the symbolic links, added the link for the Firefox plugin etc. Below is a section from 'aboutlugins' from Firefox.

Citrix Presentation Server Client for Linux

File name: nswrapper_32_32.npica.so
    ICA Plugin (Linux) Version 10.6.115659 (/usr/lib/ICAClient/wfica)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/x-ica Handles ICA connections ica Yes

I have raised calls to the Helpdesk (they're a bit crap, but they're all we've got !) and they have absolutely no idea what to do and it is plainly obvious that in developing this they had no thought for anyone who might be using Linux.

Even by choosing 'Local Client' I believe it is still trying to use Java.

I have attached the HTML source for the page when logged in. If you scroll to the bottom, the code for the buttons are such as Internet Explorer etc is listed.

Can someone who knows a bit about this stuff have a look and tell me what is going wrong here when I click on the buttons to launch the applications.

Usually when the application is launched, a Java window appears which says 'Loading Applet' then 'Applet started' then 'Error: Applet failed to initialized'.

Don't expect a solution, but if anyone can see a blindingly obvious problem with the HTML source, then please let me know and I can go back to the helpdesk armed with a bit more ammunition.

Many thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you successfully used the installed ICA client on any other sites? I just think it would be wise to rule out a problem that is local to your machine before looking at whether the web-side code is wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't. This is the only site I use. If you know of a site to test the client......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't, but the following may provide a clue as to why its not working on your system.

On my f7 system, where ICA client works with firefox, the about:plugins page shows the following info:

Code:
    Citrix Presentation Server Client for Linux

File name: /usr/lib/ICAClient/npica.so
        ICA Plugin (Linux) Version 10.6.115659 (/usr/lib/ICAClient/wfica)

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
    application/x-ica 	Handles ICA connections 	ica 	Yes
    See how your setup is using "nswrapper_32_32.npica.so" whereas mine is using "/usr/lib/ICAClient/npica.so". I remember that i removed the package "nspluginwrapper" on that system because it caused problems with firefox plugins rather than making them work (as it is supposed to do!).

To get your ICA client working, I would try this:

1) Remove nspluginwrapper
    "yum erase nspluginwrapper"

2) Make sure your mozilla plugins directory has the correct symlink to the ICA client plugin:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    should reveal a symlink like this
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     27 2007-09-29 18:06 npica.so -> /usr/lib/ICAClient/npica.so*
    3) if it doesn't, then create the symlink like this (as root):
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/ICAClient/npica.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npica.so
    Check your symlink again like in step 2 just to be sure

4) Not sure if this is required, but you may also need to create similar symlinks to npica.so in /usr/lib/firefox-x.x/plugins (where x.x is your current firefox version)

Restart firefox, and you should be on your way.

Let me know how you get along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BlueC,

Well tried those and it still not working. Thanks for your suggestions though.

It's strange cause it still comes up with launching the Java client. It's hard to know if the ICAClient is working properly. I've done everything I think I need to do and I think it's fine.

Anyhow, I have windows to log into for work....but I won't tell the Helpdesk that. Would be nice to get this sorted in Linux though.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Sorry that didn't work for you. I did notice that nspluginwrapper *is* supposed to work with ICAClient. Maybe see if they have a mailing list for support. (http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/proje...pluginwrapper/)

Can you launch the ICAClient from the command line? That would tell you whether it has been installed and is working properly or not.

Also, have you tried this tutuorial? (http://fedorasolved.org/Members/imer...searchterm=ica).

Have you tried firing up firefox from the command line and then trying it and see if the output in the shell shows anything that may give a clue? Tried disabling java in firefox to see if that is taking precedence over the local client somehow?

Sorry I can't think of any other suggestions. I do find it unlikely though that the website itself is to blame - the culprit is more likely to be the mozilla plugin or the ICA installation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can launch ICAClient from terminal and nothing in there when I launch Firefox as well. When Java is disabled in Firefox, it doesn't launch anything.

I have a couple more things to try, but will do that tomorrow. It's possible it could have something to do with certificates, but that's just a long shot really.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BlueC,

Well, I don't know what it is I did right, but it is all working now and am seeing the familiar Java 'Coffee Cup' popup and the applications launching up.

The following thread was particularly helpful

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...remove+icedtea

I think the biggest help was to completely remove the IcedTea packages as they were probably causing some conflicts.

Anyhow, thanks for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it working!