Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2008, 03:13 AM
ihavenoname Offline

yum pauseing between package downloads

Hey, I'm having and issue with yum taking about 11secs between each package download. Any one else have this issue? Or experiencing similar issues?

Last edited by ihavenoname; 3rd March 2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 3rd March 2008, 05:41 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Hello:

I haven't timed it, but yum isn't the fastest runner.... Yes, there seems to be brief pauses _sometimes_ between package downloads. This doesn't look like a real problem to me. I wouldn't worry about it unless the delays become longer.

Other things you could look into: do you have your repos set up with mirror sites listed when available? Do you have presto installed to find the fastest mirrors? How about deltaurl (allows yum to download only package changes and rebuild the rpm on your box - saves D/L time and bandwidth)? There are HOW-TOs here on the forum for those items.

Regards,
V
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:10 AM
ihavenoname Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler
Hello:

I haven't timed it, but yum isn't the fastest runner.... Yes, there seems to be brief pauses _sometimes_ between package downloads. This doesn't look like a real problem to me. I wouldn't worry about it unless the delays become longer.

Other things you could look into: do you have your repos set up with mirror sites listed when available? Do you have presto installed to find the fastest mirrors? How about deltaurl (allows yum to download only package changes and rebuild the rpm on your box - saves D/L time and bandwidth)? There are HOW-TOs here on the forum for those items.

Regards,
V
hmm, deltaurl is what gets the deltas! Silly me I always thought that presto was the one that did them..hmph I have been away for too long. The problem seems to be mostly resolved, I think someone was downloading something (in my house). Thanks for the info!
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:22 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Hello:

Oops! I mistyped. Correct name: deltarpm.

V

Tags
downloads, package, pauseing, yum