Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th March 2006, 01:16 AM
tgrier Offline

Unable to Read Package Metadata

Dear FF, (ff=Fedora Friednds)

I am getting an error msg.
" Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated. Fauilure: repodata/repomd.xml from anacoda: (ermo 256) no more mirros to try"

I have re burned the CD 3x.
I have dnloaded the iso file disk 1 from 3x differert mirror sites and checked the sums each time.

I get this msg on disk one. but at different points if I try it again or with different disks.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you all.
Old 24th March 2006, 06:04 AM
gouda Offline

Angry

I too am getting this message. I did not test the 4th of my 5 CDs and my initial installation rebooted with only 10 minutes left since disc 4 was corrupt.

Now when I try to repeat the exact same installation procedure I get the dreaded errno 256. It always happens after I enter my choice of a root password.

I have tried replacing the existing linux partitions during installation, I have tried a linux rescue boot where I did a "rm -rf *" in the mounted image directory but still I get this error everytime.

Any help? Should I reformat the drives?

Thanks
Old 24th March 2006, 06:08 AM
lungbutter Offline

Lightbulb Swap out your CD/DVD drive

Guys,

I went through the exact same thing with the DVD ISO, CD ISO, reburned mutlple times, installed Nero and burned verified CDs, checked the MD5s and then I read something I think in this forum that got me thinking. I swapped out my DVD burner for an older Sony CD burner and guess what? No problems installing at all from the same CDs!

Try swapping out your CD or DVD drive if you have another available, or maybe pick one up at newegg.com or the local computer store if you can't wait.

Good luck.

Edited: for speeling.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:03 PM
tgrier Offline

This drive is in a laptop...
when I boot with no disk.. it comes up to a >grub line

can I install over a network with that ?
I was doing a clean install on this machine.
Old 26th March 2006, 09:26 AM
gouda Offline

Talking All better now

Well after a couple of days of trying various settings I realized the problem was hardware related. It seems that the CDROM in the install computer was having sporadic difficulties reading the CD-RW discs I used to burn the Fedora C5 distro. After I burned the same files onto CD-R discs all is good.

Thanks all

Tags
metadata, package, read, unable