Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th March 2006, 07:17 AM
rio

Nvidia TNT2 M64 32

Hello.
I recently installed Fedora Core 5 and im not able to install the Nvidia drivers.
I tried using the .run file on Nvidia.com but during instalation there was a compatibility
error with my kernel. (version 2.1.15-1) Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th March 2006, 02:39 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
There's several 'how-to's around the Forum right now. Stanton Finley recommends this one: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...c5.html#nvidia while I've had success with this one: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=99285
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 27th March 2006, 06:57 PM
Black Hound Offline

Nviia

Hola Rio, yo tengo la misma tarjeta que vos tenes y lo que pasa es que en ese link que te pasa el viejo bob es para las nvidia glx, no legacy. Necesitas nvidia-legacy para que funciones... Te recomiendo que esperes un poco (yo tambien tengo que esperar) hasta que salga la nueva vversion del kernel que aparentemente soportara nuevamente THIRD PARTY software drivers y sacaran RPMs con soporte para estas tarjetas mas viejas

Last edited by justol'bob; 27th March 2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 27th March 2006, 07:01 PM
Black Hound Offline

Justolbob, the thing is that he needs the nvidia-legacy driver (that was the name on ubuntu at least) not the glx. I have the same software as he and I tried following the steps on the link you posted with no success.
Old 27th March 2006, 07:17 PM
bob Online

(sorry about that deletion of the prior message, but it's that 'English-Only' thing).
Ah, well that's different then. I had believed that all the Nvidia cards would work with that, as I have an older one too, and since FC5 is now gone over to glx. Well, before too much longer, there's going to be a kernel revision that hopefully will allow the Livna modules to work properly.

Old 28th March 2006, 03:45 AM
Black Hound Offline

old bob

Thers no nedd to get all fired up. Its about helping not arguing. I replyed in spanish because he is like me from URUGUAY, sorry about that. Just calm down man! And is that true abut glx working for my nvidia tnt2 m64? i couldnt get it to work. In ubuntu i had to use nvidia-legacy...
Old 28th March 2006, 04:23 AM
bob Online

I'm sorry if I seemed fired up - I wasn't, just overdue for my morning brew. You see, I'm supposed to uphold and maintain those Guidelines and there's that one that says: "Write in English". That's why I trashed your post. Guess I should have realized why you posted that way but I thought you'd started in Spanish and then switched over to English and maybe didn't know how to delete it..and...oh I don't know what the hell I was thinking, obviously not much.

And as to your cards, prior to this I'd always simply downloaded the Nvidia drivers (not yours though) and then did the old 'kill X', 'sh *.run' and let Nvidia build it for me. Now, that simply won't work with the architecture of FC5. So, I'm banking on the Livna group to come out with suitable drivers for every version of the Nvidia cards and, if 'yes' is right on about page 6-8 of Firewing1's thread, those drivers may already be in the development section of Livna's repository.

Another suggestion would be to tack a request for help on that card to the end of Firewing1's thread. The guy is always willing to work out problems and is one of the best coders that I know of. If there's a solution, I think he's the one to find it.

Now, all that typing has made me thirsty again. Time for a brew!

Tags
m64, nvidia, tnt2