Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th March 2006, 08:09 AM
cmoraes Offline

Smile Solved: Xwindow issue with FC5 on Acer Aspire 5500:

Hi,

I installed FC5 on my Acer Aspire 5500 laptop over the weekend. I found the fix to an Xwindows problem (blank screen) and am posting it here for everyone's benefit.

Configuration:
Acer Aspire 5502 laptop, with ATI Radeon x700 graphics card with 64Mb video ram.

Problem:
For some reason, FC5 (and FC4) does not recognize my laptop LCD screen. Xwindows (Gnome & Kde) start, but do not show anything on the screen. In fact, during the installation, anaconda cannot display the graphical installer, and I have to do the installation in text mode. When I try to run "startx" from the command line after installation, the screen remains blank. I had to do a CTRL+ALT+BkpSpace to kill the Xwindows session.

Solution:
Edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Add the following line to the "Videocard0" section.
Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS"
See "man radeon" for more info.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
cmoraes
Old 27th March 2006, 08:32 AM
Karmas Offline

Hi,

Thanks for your possible solution. I'll try it this afternoon. I only have one other little problem, FC hangs on udev. Did you have the same problem?

regards,
karmas
Old 27th March 2006, 08:43 AM
cmoraes Offline

Hi Kramas,

Nope. I didn't have any problem with udev.

regards,
cmoraes
Old 26th April 2006, 06:06 AM
EngineerJoe Offline

Thank you for this thread. I didn't have a problem with udev either, but my GUI does lock up when trying to log out. Any suggestions? If it helps, I'm using the Acer Ferrari 4005
Old 26th April 2006, 01:59 PM
PSY0NIC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmas
Hi,

Thanks for your possible solution. I'll try it this afternoon. I only have one other little problem, FC hangs on udev. Did you have the same problem?

regards,
karmas
Do a search on UDEV in the forums. Lots of people are having problems with it. I had a problem with it on my Acer 5672 and what I did was boot of the DVD in rescue mode and update the whole system. After it installs the 2080-smp or 2096-smp kernel, I would get past the udev problem.
Old 6th June 2006, 06:26 PM
SpookySystems Offline

is there a way to correct the problem at instalation point or do i have to use text mode and them correct it?
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:20 AM
Conz Offline

I know this is an old thread but it is being referenced on a few other sites for people with screens going blank.
I had the same problem that X made the screen go blank, it turns out that X is trying to use the external monitor port instead of the LCD screen.
So if you get this, try hooking up an external monitor and see what it does.
Old 15th April 2007, 03:03 PM
joefireline Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz
I know this is an old thread but it is being referenced on a few other sites for people with screens going blank.
I had the same problem that X made the screen go blank, it turns out that X is trying to use the external monitor port instead of the LCD screen.
So if you get this, try hooking up an external monitor and see what it does.
I tried that today, and an external monitor work, the laptop one doesn't.
Which X is it? If I get rid of it, will it work?

I tried what cmoraes said, but it didn't seem to work.
Though which "Videocard0" is it? There is two, so I put it at both.
Old 15th April 2007, 03:29 PM
Conz Offline

I think it'll start working normally once you're done installing and have everything updated.
I forgot if I installed any special ati drivers, you might want to look into getting those.
Old 15th April 2007, 08:14 PM
joefireline Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz
I think it'll start working normally once you're done installing and have everything updated.
I forgot if I installed any special ati drivers, you might want to look into getting those.
Thanks,
I actully managed to get it sorted. After the 2nd reboot, it sorted itself, not sure what it was with being the second reboot.
Now, just for that wireless card...

Tags
5500, acer, aspire, fc5, solved, xwindow