Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 30th March 2006, 09:47 AM
PinkZeppelin Offline

Need help moving email server to new virtual domain (postfix, dovecot)

Hello Everyone:
I've read so many different articles about this topic that I only manage to confuse myself, so I have to turn to the fellow linux community
Thanks for looking!

What I'm looking to do is move our current email domain (I guess virtual domain) to a new virtual domain, but still receive mail for all users on the old one and forward to their new address. We're running postfix, dovecot, amavis, spamassassin, apache, squirrelmail, winbind (almost like the how-to in the 'How-to' Section)

So I have old domain: Oldschool.com and many virtual users accessing it.
Now I want to change Oldschool.com to Newschool.com (overnight) so that all email that is sent out from any of the virtual users would be sent as user@Newschool.com
But, also, I still want receive email for my virtual users on the old domain for a certain period of time until people become accustomed to it. So email sent to user@oldschool.com will be forwarded to user@newschool.com until I remove the settings for this.

That's the first part.

The second part: I need to ask, once I complete the task above, what other changes will I need to make. Any changes to Dovecot? virtual mailboxes? Anything in apache or squirrelmail?

If anyone needs more information, configs, etc. I'll post them immediately.

Thanks a ton!
-PinkZeppelin
Old 30th March 2006, 10:37 AM
daverj Offline

I found the following on a link. Not sure how to implement it, but it might help:

Postfix uses '\' for forwading with copy,

Example:

foo@foo.com -> \foo@foo.com,foo2@foo.com

If you dont type the '\' caracter it makes a loop.

from: http://vhcs.net/new/modules/newbb/vi...?topic_id=3798
Old 30th March 2006, 08:09 PM
PinkZeppelin Offline

I checked out the link, but it doesn't explain much at all. Almost makes me more confused.
I'm kind of looking for something more specific, thanks anyway.
Old 31st March 2006, 01:44 AM
daverj Offline

yeah, it didn't explain much to me either. I was just hoping that something else you stumbled upon might have made sense in conjunction with it.

Dave
Old 5th April 2006, 09:41 AM
PinkZeppelin Offline

I still looking for help on this one. I'm going to need to do the above task sometime within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully someone can help me by then, if not, I guess I'll figure it out and then post it on here.
Thanks

Tags
domain, dovecot, email, moving, postfix, server, virtual