Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:29 AM
Coenos Offline

Cool Fedora's Tomcat can't find jar library ??

Hi,

I installed the Tomcat version that comes with Core 5. I added the Oracle JDBC drivers to the
<app>/WEB-INF/lib directory and also added the same jar file to the common/lib and shared/lib (to be sure). But Tomcat can't find the jar file (???). I get java error saying NoClassDefFoundException meaning its not in the classpath.

On Tomcat 5.5.9 I had the same config and then it was working ok by just placing the ojdbc14.jar in the common/lib or shared/lib directory.

Is this a bug, or is there some other config file where I need to add the classpath or something ??

Hope someone knows a solution.

Coenos
Old 2nd April 2006, 04:58 PM
MatthewWall Offline

Hi Coenos,

I've not had this problem with the FC4 install of tomcat but an alternative solution would be to install the tarball version of tomcat somewhere and install the jar in the shared/lib directory there. Not perfect I know, but it should work.

Mat
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:12 AM
Coenos Offline

Still no solution

Yes, but why doesn't the Tomcat version that comes with Fedora work properly ?

Is this a known bug, or is there some (extra) config file to be set ? Anyone else who has got this problem ?

Thanks!
Coenos
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:13 PM
MatthewWall Offline

You should definately not have the tomcat in the WEB-INF/lib directory as this can cause memory leaks in the web application.

By default the /etc/init.d/tomcat5 script for the tomcat configured with FC4 runs tomcat from the /usr/share/tomcat directory.

Try removing the JDBC jar from WEB-INF/lib and installing it in /usr/share/tomcat5/shared/lib OR /usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib

Also, what JDK are you using? I've seen strange behaviour from GCJ sometimes. Try this with a SUN JVM.

Good luck!

Mat
Old 5th April 2006, 10:02 AM
Coenos Offline

Hi Matthew,

I changed the tomcat conf script to use the Sun JVM instead of the default. On FC3 I installed the jakarta Tomcat 5.5.9 and there the install pointed directly to to right JVM.
It is working now.

Thanks for the tips !

Coen
Old 5th April 2006, 11:16 AM
tomcat Offline

I got installed on your boxes? Oh oh...

Old 5th April 2006, 12:46 PM
Coenos Offline

I hope your postcount isn't just that high because of replying to tomcat topics with that super helpful reply

Old 5th April 2006, 01:16 PM
tomcat Offline

No, don't worry. This was the first time that I posted this "joke".