Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 3rd April 2006, 07:29 AM
Darkmage Offline

FC5 with bcm43xx support (HOWTO)

Commands are done at a terminal as root.
1. If you haven't already done so, update to the 2.6.16-1.2071_FC5 or newer
kernel.
2. Install the bcm43xx-fwcutter package from Extras
Code:
# yum -y install bcm43xx-fwcutter
3. Download and extract the driver file on the bottom of this How to.

4. As root, extract the firmware from your Windows or MacOS driver by
running the command
Code:
# /usr/bin/bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta.o
Code:
# /sbin/depmod -a
 # /sbin/modprobe bcm43xx
6. Click on System -> System Settings -> Network, then type in the root password.
In Network Configuration, click on New and then "Select Device type box" shows, highlight Wireless connection and click on "Forward".
This brings up the "Select Wireless Device box" window, which has Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN Connection (eth1) highlighted, then click "Forward".
This bring up the "Configure Wireless Connection box" which allows you to set the mode, ssid, channel, rate and hex key. After you are done, click "Forward" -- I left mine as default because I plan on using wpa_supplicant.
This brings up the "Configure Network Settings box" which allows you to set the dhcp, dns and ip address. When you are done, then click forward. -- I choose dhcp
The next box "Create Wireless Device box" has all you settings for you to double check before hitting apply.
When you hit apply, it should take you back to Network Configuration, highlight the created eth1 and click "Edit" which allows you to fine tune the configuration, like if you want all users to be able to enable wlan0, if you want eth1 to start on boot etc. Go though the tabs and check everything and make sure it is up to your specification, then click "Ok" and then the final thing
on "Network Configuration", click on "File" and then "Save"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	2338
Size:	674.3 KB
ID:	7784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	1690
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	7785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2.png
Views:	1852
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	7786  
Attached Files
File Type: gz wl_apsta.o.tar.gz (272.5 KB, 14765 views)

Last edited by Darkmage; 7th July 2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:30 AM
Darkmage Offline

bcm43xx supplemented with wpa_supplicant or NetworkManager

Wpa_supplicant is available from updates and to install it -->
Code:
# yum -y install  wpa_supplicant-0.4.8-5 wpa_supplicant-gui-0.4.8-5
navigate to /etc/wpa_supplicant
Code:
# cd /etc/wpa_supplicant
With an editor of your choice, modify wpa_supplicant.conf with the following information

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="any"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        disabled=1
}
click on Desktop -> System Settings -> Users and Groups. When prompted type in the user root password and hightlight your username and click on Properties. The User Properties windows comes up, then go to the Groups Tab and scroll all the way down to wheel group and put a check mark and Ok out of the window.

Now to edit the /etc/sudoers file
If you do not have visudo command, then
Code:
# yum -y install sudo

Open a terminal and become root and type in
Code:
# /usr/sbin/visudo 
scroll to the line similar to below
# Same thing without a password
#%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

remove the comment on %wheel, so you have
# Same thing without a password
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Save and exit

Below is the content of a modified /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant accordingly
Code:
# wlan0 and wifi0
# INTERFACES="-iwlan0 -iwifi0 -eth1"
INTERFACES="-ieth1"
# ndiswrapper and prism
# DRIVERS="-Dndiswrapper -Dprism -Dmadwifi -Dipw2200"
DRIVERS="-Dwext"

Still as root, start the wpa_supplicant service with
Code:
# /sbin/chkconfig wpa_supplicant on && /sbin/service wpa_supplicant start
this should give you an [OK] result.

You have three choices of running wpa_supplicant, the command line wpa_cli or wpa_gui or NetworkManager, I will using wpa_gui because NetworkManager is buggy at this stage.

Unfortunately wpa_gui does not have an icon yet but, you can create one.
Right click your desktop and select "Create Launcher", give it a name, the command is "/usr/bin/wpa_gui", choose an icon for it and the select Ok.[/B]

Restart your system/desktop/laptop/notebook/tablet

Double click the icon you created and you will be presented with the gui interface for wpa_supplicant, the adapter should have eth1 highlighted and just click scan --Assumption is made that your ssid is been broadcasted with WEP/WPA or WPA2 encryption.

Once you see your ssid, double click on it and type in your encryption key and ADD and then connect. Once connected to the ssid, open a terminal and
Code:
/sbin/ifup eth1
or use Network Control to activate eth1

While looking at wpa_gui interface, you should see an ip address assigned to it.

That's all folks
Hope this helps and please post any question or comment

If it doesn't work please post, if it works please post.

How to configure NetworkManager with wpa
Update as of 09/09/06
If you have wpa_supplicant installed, disable it with
Code:
 /sbin/service wpa_supplicant stop && /sbin/service wpa_supplicant off
Install NetworkManager if you don't have it already installed
Code:
yum -y install NetworkManager NetworkManager-gnome
Turn on NetworkManager and NetworkDispatcher
Code:
 /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager on && /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher on
/sbin/service NetworkManager start && /sbin/service NetworkManagerDispatcher start
Right-click the menu bar and select "Add to Panel"
Choose and select " Notification Area"
left click the Notification Area icon and you should be able to configure the wireless connection with wpa encryption.

Last edited by Darkmage; 21st October 2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:57 PM
jakestoll Offline

on the first part i got, Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present. Check cable? i have a button on my laptop that in windows turns the wireless on or off, in FC5 it stays off, and I cannot turn it on.
Old 4th April 2006, 12:01 AM
partha Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestoll
on the first part i got, Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present. Check cable? i have a button on my laptop that in windows turns the wireless on or off, in FC5 it stays off, and I cannot turn it on.
Go to www.partha.com and navigate to the section on wireless. I explain also how to get the Broadcom up and running.

HTH,
Partha
Old 4th April 2006, 03:14 AM
Darkmage Offline

Quote:
When you lauched wpa_gui, hit scan and selected your access point, typed in the encryption key and hit add. Then connect. Were you connected to the access point before activating eth1?
Also, since I have dhcp enabled on my route this works from a terminal
Code:
 sudo dhclient eth1
Old 4th April 2006, 11:13 AM
jakestoll Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage
When you lauched wpa_gui, hit scan and selected your access point, typed in the encryption key and hit add. Then connect. Were you connected to the access point before activating eth1?
Also, since I have dhcp enabled on my route this works from a terminal
Code:
 sudo dhclient eth1
wpa_gui did not scan or respond it seems. I also ran dhclient and it was unable to find dhcp. I also tries the above post, and the light on the wireless button started blinking then stopped. I'll just start over and try again. I think the problem is with the laptop itself, HP Pavillion zv5230us, The wireless card is made by Broadcom with the chipset bcm4306. Maybe i should try the drivers from HP ?
Old 4th April 2006, 02:03 PM
Darkmage Offline

Quote:
wpa_gui did not scan or respond it seems. I also ran dhclient and it was unable to find dhcp. I also tries the above post, and the light on the wireless button started blinking then stopped. I'll just start over and try again. I think the problem is with the laptop itself, HP Pavillion zv5230us, The wireless card is made by Broadcom with the chipset bcm4306. Maybe i should try the drivers from HP ?
Can you provide me a screenshot of what wpa_gui interface looks like when you click on it
Old 4th April 2006, 09:20 PM
jakestoll Offline

Quote:
Can you provide me a screenshot of what wpa_gui interface looks like when you click on it
ran wpa_gui after a restart, here are some sreenshots,

then i did the commands from partha's site again

[root@localhost jake]# /sbin/depmod -a
[root@localhost jake]# /sbin/modprobe bcm43xx
[root@localhost jake]# /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
[root@localhost jake]# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid NorthernLights_Local
[root@localhost jake]# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 rate 11M
[root@localhost jake]# /sbin/dhclient eth1

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:90:4b:5f:d4:48
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:90:4b:5f:d4:48
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.2.1
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.2.1
bound to 192.168.2.101 -- renewal in 264960 seconds.

and now it is working as you can see, so its probably user error for not restarting . Now to get a gui working since i travel alot and have to find networks, or is there a scan command i can use to find networks.
Old 4th April 2006, 09:39 PM
Darkmage Offline

@jakestoll

Did you add yourself to the wheel group and stated in the "How to"?
Check your previledge by opening a terminal and as root type in /usr/bin/wpa_gui. Do you see your interface under next to Adapter in the screenshot
Old 4th April 2006, 09:57 PM
gorak Offline

I just have one question

I'm already using ndiswrapper module for my broadcom card which is inturn using windows native drivers. Is there any advantage using this driver?
Old 5th April 2006, 12:34 AM
partha Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorak
I just have one question

I'm already using ndiswrapper module for my broadcom card which is inturn using windows native drivers. Is there any advantage using this driver?
Yes, you would be using native linux drivers as opposed to a wrapper for a windows driver.
Old 5th April 2006, 01:11 AM
nyinge Offline

Thank you, Darkmage and Partha. It worked for me flawlessly. I havn't tried the wpa stuff yet, since I don't usually roam around in the area of wpa restricted networks as of now.

As for Partha, I've also looked at your instructions on your partha.com. I may be wrong, but I think there is a command to insert the module "bcm43xx" missing from your page: "modprobe bcm43xx." I could be missing something, but it didn't work for me before I inserted the module.

Thank you all.
ps. I wonder why Fedora people wouldn't post the instructions for this, at least not obviously. hmm... maybe it is something that could be done easily... yep, I'm still a novice to Linux after all.
Old 5th April 2006, 01:35 AM
nyinge Offline

I understand that I can use Network Settings to load and start the wireless at boot-time and all that configurations. However, if I don't have access to GUI, how would I configure these settings on CLI? I couldn't really find a how-to site for this specific procedure.

Thank you
Old 5th April 2006, 03:03 AM
partha Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyinge
As for Partha, I've also looked at your instructions on your partha.com. I may be wrong, but I think there is a command to insert the module "bcm43xx" missing from your page: "modprobe bcm43xx." I could be missing something, but it didn't work for me before I inserted the module.
You are right. FC5 stopped loading bcm43xx automatically since the middle of test 3. I was doing that so routinely that I did not mention it on the page. I will update my page to reflect that.

Thanks,
Partha
Old 5th April 2006, 03:41 AM
jakestoll Offline

Quote:
@jakestoll

Did you add yourself to the wheel group and stated in the "How to"?
Check your previledge by opening a terminal and as root type in /usr/bin/wpa_gui. Do you see your interface under next to Adapter in the screenshot
it seems that the wpa_supplicant service was not started with that, that would be the reason for that. After i started it it came up.

Tags
bcm43xx, fc5, howto, support