Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 30th June 2006, 12:31 AM
stlava Offline

Ok it took a couple restarts but now its seen and I added it. The thing now is that before I used to use NetworkManager Applet to easily connect. Now it doesn't work. When I do iwlist eth1 scan it sees the network. Do I need to configure wpa_supplicant properly or what? but still shouldn't it see the network with the Applet?

also: when I boot wpa_supplicant seems to have problems starting it is still tied to wlan0.
better question: what driver do i tell wpa_supplicant to use? right now its set on ndiswrapper which I don't want to use.

Last edited by stlava; 30th June 2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 30th June 2006, 06:39 AM
stlava Offline

Ok I was able to get it working the card is seen in wpa_gui and its able to scan the network but when I try connecting with proper information entered it hangs on "Trying to associate with SSID..." I did omitt the opensc and pkcs parts from the wpa_supplicant.conf since I was having problems locating the .so files and each time i tried downloading the and rpm with them they never were included and when I tried to compile pkcs11_engine it had a problem with the make command. so.. where do I go from here?

edit: even when i took off the encryption on my network I was not able to connect. wpa_gui saw the network and mac address of the router but just couldn't connect...

Last edited by stlava; 30th June 2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 30th June 2006, 07:07 PM
bbfuller Offline

Using a bcm4318 in an HP nx6125, each time the computer boots I can have wireless start correctly by following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. The machine is allocated an IP address by DHCP, but, I am unable to access anything by pinging (Destination Host Unreachable) or through a web browser. However, if I use the Network Configuration Applet, edit the properties of the card and unbind it from the detected MAC address (which is the correct one) and then ask the applet to probe the MAC address again all works - until I reboot the machine, when all that has to be done again.

The MAC address trick I found on another thread on this forum.

Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Old 30th June 2006, 09:30 PM
cbtg2006 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage
Post the output of
Code:
 dmesg |grep ndiswrapper
. I only use wpa/wpa2, so I prefer wpa_supplicant
I don't have ndiswrapper installed...

I've switched to WEP and NetworkManager for the time being, but I'd like to update to the latest kernel...
Old 30th June 2006, 09:44 PM
bbfuller Offline

Incidentally, that also works if I do:
ifdown eth1
ifup eth1
immediately after logging in.
Old 30th June 2006, 09:44 PM
DarkoD Offline

Hi people...

Hope someone can help. I just got my laptop and I'm stuck with getting this wireless to work.

I'm not very experienced with Linux so i don't know if I will give you the full info first time.

Model Acer Ferrari 4005, Fedora Core 5 64bit, latest 2.6.17 kernel, router D-Link DSL-G604T.

1. Before finding this post I tried with ndiswrapper first, in forums it looked like easiest solution. Installed it with yum, looked fine. The device Broadcom 4318 showed up in Network. Configured it with my wireless settings (tried many different alternatives, with and without encryption). Bottom line, I always get he message no IP obtained, check cable. Obviously it's set up for DHCP.

2. After that didn't work and finding this post today I decided to try with fwcutter. Wasn't sure if ndiswrapper installation will mess things up so I did a yum remove ndiswrapper and after that deleted the Broadcom device from Network.

3. I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter and went trough the procedure. First difference was that I used my Windows driver for extraction, bcmwl5.sys. Is that OK? Otherwise where do I get this wl_apstra.o file?

The first thing out of the ordinary was a message saying like "this was created by developer 20 while this supports only up to 19". Sorry, didn't get the exact text written down, silly of me. I think the message was when I tried the 'system-config-network' command after modprobe and the rc.local editing.

I was hoping it won't make a difference so I ignored it. Don't know what to do about it anyway...

In the Network box all looked fine. The Broadcom 4318 is there again, I went trough wireless configuration settings. No luck when I tried if it works.

4. Not knowing if I need to do that first, I did the wpa_supplicant procedure in full as on the second post here. When I got to the service start bit, it gave me [FAILED] rather than [OK].

Where do I go from here???

I don't mind starting all over again if I need to do some full cleanup of ndiswrapper, bcm43xx-fwcutter and wpa_supplicant... I just need instructions how to fully get rid of everything.

I have wired internet on that laptop at the moment so that is not a problem.

In addition, if it matters, after reading somewhere that WPA might not be accepted fully for bcm43xx devices my current router setup is: hidden ssid, no encryption, MAC filter with the wireless MAC allowed (works under windows so I have no reason to suspect the router yet). It didn't work in FC5 even like that, without WPA encryption at all...

Open to any ideas... Looking forward to it. Sorry for the lenghty post, I was hoping it can help.

THANKS!.
Darko.
Old 30th June 2006, 10:43 PM
DarkoD Offline

GOT IT WORKING!!!

Hi all. Well, it seems you can disregard my previous post. I just got my wireless working.

Thank you for your initial post Darkmage. I should have knows better than to browse Linux forums on Windows machine. IE didn't show me download option for the wl_apsta.o from your first post but Firefox did. I downloaded that file and did the fwcutter extraction with it (although I had previously done it with bcmwl5.sys as I mentioned). It seems that got my wireless working but I think the setup is trough Network rather than wpa_supplicant.conf.

My wpa_supplicant.conf is identical as per your post and when I try the start command it gives:

Starting wpa_supplicant: ENGINE: ctrl cmd_string failed: LOAD (null) [error:25066067SO support routinesLFCN_LOAD:could not load the shared library]
SSL: Failed to initialize TLS context.
Failed to initialize EAPOL state machines.
[FAILED]

Any ideas?

Further more, how can I check the connection speed? I tried doing iwconfig and noticed the Rate said 11Mb/s. Why not 54Mb?

And I tried to create a launcher for /usr/bin/wpa_gui but when I double click the icon it says it doesn't exist?

Any further help appreciated. Thanks...
Darko.
Old 2nd July 2006, 09:55 PM
stlava Offline

I leave in less than a week and need this fixed can someone please help me out.
Old 6th July 2006, 11:41 PM
Genecks Offline

Earlier battle with ndiswrapper .
I can't get past step 4. What's wrong? Am I suppose to put the .sys file somewhere?
I did everything as listed. I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter. I downloaded the file DarkMage provided in the first post.

Quote:
[root@localhost Genecks]# /usr/bin/bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta.o
Cannot open input file wl_apsta.o
DId DarkMage have a typo? Considering the filesystem, I decided to alter the line:

Quote:
[root@localhost Genecks]# /usr/bin/bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/wl_apsta.o

bcm43xx-fwcutter version 004

Usage: /usr/bin/bcm43xx-fwcutter [OPTION] [driver.sys]
-l|--list List supported driver versions
-i|--identify Only identify the driver file (don't extract)
-w|--target-dir DIR Extract and write firmware to DIR
-p|--postfix ".FOO" Postfix for firmware filenames (.FOO.fw)
-v|--version Print bcm43xx-fwcutter version
-h|--help Print this help

Example: /usr/bin/bcm43xx-fwcutter bcmwl5.sys
to extract the firmware blobs from bcmwl5.sys
[root@localhost Genecks]# /usr/b
[root@localhost Genecks]# /usr/bin/bcm43xx-fwcutter bcmwl5.sys
Cannot open input file bcmwl5.sys

Last edited by Genecks; 6th July 2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 6th July 2006, 11:44 PM
stlava Offline

Dumb question but is bcmwl5.sys in the root dir?
Old 7th July 2006, 01:37 AM
Darkmage Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecks
Earlier battle with ndiswrapper .
I can't get past step 4. What's wrong? Am I suppose to put the .sys file somewhere?
I did everything as listed. I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter. I downloaded the file DarkMage provided in the first post.

DId DarkMage have a typo? Considering the filesystem, I decided to alter the line:
I don't know why you are getting that error message but it works for me
Code:
[root@localhost ]# gunzip -cd wl_apsta.o.tar.gz |tar -xvf-
wl_apsta.o
[root@localhost ]# bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta.o
bcm43xx-fwcutter can cut the firmware out of wl_apsta.o

filename :  wl_apsta.o
  version  :  3.130.20.0
  MD5      :  e08665c5c5b66beb9c3b2dd54aa80cb3

extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode11.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...
Old 7th July 2006, 01:41 AM
Darkmage Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlava
Dumb question but is bcmwl5.sys in the root dir?
No it is not. It is a windows driver file for broadcom
Old 7th July 2006, 03:24 AM
Genecks Offline

For the record, my laptop has one of those (Fn+F2) button combinations that must be pushed to turn on the wireless card. However, this is done in Windows. The wireless led activated by these buttons, however, is typically on WIndows (unless I pull the battery and power cord). I push those two buttons to turn it on. When in Windows and the light is off, that means that card is not activated. I don't know if I need to activate the card with the buttons in Linux.

It seems I've come past step 4.

My problem with step four arose when I was trying to figure out which directory the files were used and assimilated in. After looking at what you did, I decided using Archive Manager was not a good idea.

I noticed before hand, however, that logging into root while doing this whole process was a good idea. I went back to the login screen (the screen when first signing in) and downloaded the file. I noticed Mozilla Firefox was downloading the files to the desktop (or some particular directory). I went to the directory with that file. That gunzip did wonders. The "zipped" file was placed into the desktop, and I "gunzipped" it there. Afterwards, I finally understood more about what I was doing.

I went into terminal with the root account already accessed (because I logged in) and went to the Desktop.

Quote:
# cd Desktop
I copied the line of code you had...

Quote:
# gunzip -cd wl_apsta.o.tar.gz |tar -xvf-
wl_apsta.o
Afterwards, I noticed the file was on desktop. After noticing where everything was and how the files were being used, I understood the commands you were giving. Then I copied your text and pasted it:

Quote:
[root@localhost ]# bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta.o
bcm43xx-fwcutter can cut the firmware out of wl_apsta.o
I noticed I didn't need a .sys or .inf file. I just needed to do what was on the commands you gave. I suppose if I were doing some other flavor of wireless card setup, then they would be helpful.

But after going through step 5, I didn't have the results as expected. When doing step 5, the terminal didn't cough or spit an error at me. Nope. Instead, the terminal looked at my command, paused a second (for the first one) and then glanced at the second one. No lines of ERROR! or "huh?!" reponse were given for the following:

Quote:
[root@localhost Genecks]# /sbin/depmod -a
[root@localhost Genecks]# /sbin/modprobe bcm43xx
*Note: I returned to my username but under root this time. Last time I didn't.

I don't know if I'm suppose to be expecting nothing in return for this or not. But when it came to step 6, however, I did not get this:

Quote:
Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN Connection (eth1)
I got something more like this:

Nonetheless, I set it up and things didn't go as well when I restarted the computer.

Now I may have created a user error somewhere. But I thought that the options in the network would automatically detect my card. Is that right? Or do I need to set up SSID and everything else?
The main question: Why didn't it show Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN Connection (eth1)

I haven't gone much farther, because I was unsure if I should continue or not.

Notice: I read this entire thread over once more. I discovered you suggested the 1.6 Kernel, as it was the Kernel of your choice for setting up the wireless card. I assume if I use the Kernel you used, then I would obtain the same results?

How would I go about downgrading my Kernel?

Question for Others: If you setup your card in 1.7+ (or the newest Kernel), did you see the Broadcom Corporation... within the network settings?

Last edited by Genecks; 7th July 2006 at 03:38 AM.
Old 8th July 2006, 04:31 PM
purdayse Offline

Darkmage, thanks again. my wireless card is working fine using WEP. I would like to work it with WPA, so I followed instructions and installed wpa_supplicant, modified configurations. When i attempted to restart the service, i got the following error message,
[root@localhost sysconfig]# /sbin/service wpa_supplicant start
Starting wpa_supplicant: ENGINE: ctrl cmd_string failed: LOAD (null) [error:25066067SO support routinesLFCN_LOAD:could not load the shared library]
[FAILED]

Any idea where i might have made a mistake? By the way, I did uninstall the wpa_supplicant and reintalled it but to no avail.
Old 8th July 2006, 06:10 PM
Darkmage Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdayse
Darkmage, thanks again. my wireless card is working fine using WEP. I would like to work it with WPA, so I followed instructions and installed wpa_supplicant, modified configurations. When i attempted to restart the service, i got the following error message,
[root@localhost sysconfig]# /sbin/service wpa_supplicant start
[FAILED]

Any idea where i might have made a mistake? By the way, I did uninstall the wpa_supplicant and reintalled it but to no avail.
What modifications did you make to the configuration files?

Tags
bcm43xx, fc5, howto, support