Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 12th April 2006, 04:13 AM
fire-fly Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 269
Prevent dhcp server from updating /etc/resolved.conf

Hi there
Anybody knows how to prevent dhcp server from updating /etc/resolved.conf.
Please share.
Thanks
Cheers
fire-fly
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12th April 2006, 05:24 AM
Zotter Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central Wyoming
Posts: 640
Uh, sloppy way:

create your desired resolv.conf file, then run, as root:

chmod ugo-w /etc/resolv.conf <enter>
__________________
If it ain't broken - you're not really trying....
Registered Linux user #227845
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12th April 2006, 06:44 AM
fire-fly Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Uh, sloppy way:

create your desired resolv.conf file, then run, as root:

chmod ugo-w /etc/resolv.conf <enter>
Haa Haa, never thought of that ! But if it works for now is fine
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12th April 2006, 07:52 AM
liro Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland
Age: 32
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Uh, sloppy way:

create your desired resolv.conf file, then run, as root:

chmod ugo-w /etc/resolv.conf <enter>

i would advise you to use the peerdns option. you set peerdns=no in the interface config file (/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 for eth0)...
__________________
some tips and small doc's of fedora core linux setup [german] http://www.liro.ch
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13th April 2006, 04:13 AM
fire-fly Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Uh, sloppy way:

create your desired resolv.conf file, then run, as root:

chmod ugo-w /etc/resolv.conf <enter>
Quote:
Originally Posted by liro
i would advise you to use the peerdns option. you set peerdns=no in the interface config file (/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 for eth0)...
Sorry guys both suggestion did not work
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13th April 2006, 05:58 AM
liro Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland
Age: 32
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-fly
Hi there
Anybody knows how to prevent dhcp server from updating /etc/resolved.conf.
Please share.
Thanks
Cheers
fire-fly
so i maybe doesn't get your problem right.

you have a nic on which you get the ip via a dhcp server and you don't wan't to override your /etc/resolv.conf right?

if so, this is done via PEERDNS=NO in ifcfg-eth0. then, /etc/resolv.conf is not updated by dhclient script...(assingment of ip-adresses)

or did you mean you have a dhcp server which you don't want to update the clients /etc/resolf.conf?
__________________
some tips and small doc's of fedora core linux setup [german] http://www.liro.ch
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13th April 2006, 06:23 AM
fire-fly Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 269
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro
so i maybe doesn't get your problem right.

you have a nic on which you get the ip via a dhcp server and you don't wan't to override your /etc/resolv.conf right?

if so, this is done via PEERDNS=NO in ifcfg-eth0. then, /etc/resolv.conf is not updated by dhclient script...(assingment of ip-adresses)

or did you mean you have a dhcp server which you don't want to update the clients /etc/resolf.conf?
My apologise, I got 2 nics, I only change ifcfg-eth0 but forgot about ifcfg-eth1.
It works ! thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13th April 2006, 08:01 AM
liro Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland
Age: 32
Posts: 233
no probs. enjoy it

liro
__________________
some tips and small doc's of fedora core linux setup [german] http://www.liro.ch
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dhcp, or etc or resolvedconf, prevent, server, updating

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing DHCP Kickstart with Windows DHCP Server wdtj Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 3 8th October 2004 02:24 AM
do i need a dhcp-server to connect to the internet via dhcp? parv Servers & Networking 8 21st August 2004 11:47 AM
Prevent Hostname from beeing overwritten via ? dhcp sigmastern Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 1 8th June 2004 06:56 AM


Current GMT-time: 05:09 (Thursday, 23-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Bhopal Photos on Instagram - Thun Photos on Instagram - Joypur Hat Instagram Photos