Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th April 2006, 05:50 AM
cow Offline

intel D945 matrix raid 1 array how do i rebuild array?

i am using FC5 with an intel D945 intel matrix iCH7 chipset raid 1 array setup. i pulled out one of the drives and put another in place now the bios says rebuild in the OS. how do i rebuild in FC5 linux? Is there a software or command to easily rebuild the array?

any help would be appreciated.
Old 13th April 2006, 07:21 AM
tashirosgt Offline

I haven't tried raid in Linux, but your question made me curious. So I was reading:
http://man-wiki.net/index.php/8:mdadm
Perhaps you can figure out your situation and explain it to me. I would think that you might have to set the new drive up for raid. But I didn't see any "rebuild" command. So perhaps if you add the drive to the array, it automatically begins to rebuild itself.
Old 13th April 2006, 08:11 AM
cow Offline

tashirosgt: the link is talking about Linux software raid... i am using the fake software raid supported by the controller. i appreciate the info though.
Old 13th April 2006, 08:23 AM
cow Offline

i think i found something pertaining to what i am doing.

http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme
http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/

but i have no idea what it all means...
Old 13th April 2006, 03:06 PM
tashirosgt Offline

After reading:
man dmraid
It isn't clear to me what you are supposed to do. The dmraid command seems to be used to inspect raid arrays. You just put in a new drive, so I presume it needs to be partitioned and formatted. I suppose you could use dmraid to see what the current state of the array is. Is the controller supposed to be smart enough to partition and format a swapped drive by itself?

Tags
array, d945, intel, matrix, raid, rebuild