Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2006, 03:49 AM
Taft Offline

Question Need help creating a boot CD to dual-boot my HP Pavilion desktop

Hello

I would like to dual-boot my new HP desktop with XP and FC5.

I've installed Linux many times in the past, however not with a modified OEM version of XP. I partitioned the hard drive and installed FC5 and grub. I booted into FC5 and was doing great! However, when I tried to boot into Windows, HP's helpful utility noticed that I modified the boot sector and decided XP needed to be reinstalled (and there's no way to cancel this!) When that was done grub was clobbered and I had no boot menu (although FC5 is still installed on its partition).

Since this PC has no floppy drive, I believe I will need to create a boot CD to point to my FC5 install. I saw a tutorial here for doing this on a floppy - can anyone suggest a way to boot the FC5 rescue CD and create a bootable CD to boot my Linux partition?

Many thanks in advance

EDIT: I shouldn't have to point this out, but just in case... I do have a DVD-RW drive and a stack of blank CD-R's. Ideally, I just need a command to create a bootable CD providing /dev/hda5 (Linux root partition) as an argument

Last edited by Taft; 18th April 2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old 18th April 2006, 04:32 AM
b_martinez Offline

Don't give up yet. I know how frustrating it is to install an os , only to have the system do something like what happened to you. After you re-install Windows, if you still want to install Fedora Core, read this.
http://enterprise.linux.com/article....919205&tid=129
It will show you how to (hopefully) configure the Windows loader to boot FC.
Good Luck.
Bill
p.s. should work for single hdd install!

Last edited by b_martinez; 18th April 2006 at 04:33 AM. Reason: add last line
Old 18th April 2006, 02:13 PM
galatei Offline

I strongly recommend installing GRUB loader into first sector of your /boot partition and not to the MBR.
In order to boot to linux, use Bootpart application (under windows) to create "loader file" (first 512 bytes of /boot partition) for your linux distro.
Place this file on C:\ (eg. c:\linux) and add line to the boot.ini file, like: c:\linux="Linux"
That's all.

Regards

Tags
boot, creating, desktop, dualboot, pavilion