Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2006, 10:54 AM
styryx Offline

Question Installing GRUB boot record to the first /boot sector option does not work for me

I recently installed Fedora Core 5 on my drive. While I have multiple-boot system, I wanted to locate the Fedora boot record to the first sector of the /boot partition, not the main MBR, but this does not work. I even tried the "Force LBA32" option with no change.

I installed the system on VIA SATA RAID (with none another problems, even autodetection worked using correct via_sata driver, I don't have to use "noprobe" option):
VIA SATA chip VT-8237
2x Seagate SATA-150 Baracuda 160GB (320 GB total - stripping)

/boot is the second primary partition
(1st pri.: XOSL loader
2nd pri.: Fedora /boot
3rd pri.: Win9x FAT32 bootable
4th log.: WinXP/2k NTFS bootable (through XOSL, booting from logical)
5th log.: NTFS data
6th log.: Linux SWAP
7th log.: Fedora /
)

With this configuration, it always places the GRUB loader into main MBR, independently of the option in installer (but I will have XOSL loader in the MBR), I don't know if it is because of my configuration and installing to SATA RAID, or if the problem is in the installer - has anyone else tried this option? In the last previous Fedora version I installed it worked, but it was Fedora 3 in another drive configuration (PATA RAID HPT-372 stripping).

If I manually copy the GRUB boot record from MBR to the first sector of the /boot partition (using disc editor) and refresh the XOSL boot record, all is working fine and booting correctly, so for me it is not necessary to get this option to work. I only want to report the problem.
Old 18th April 2006, 02:03 PM
galatei Offline

Did you select "Configure advanced boot loader options" in boot loader config screen of the install? If not then you've installed it on /dev/hda or not at all.
Of course this applicate only if you're using anaconda in graphical mode.

Regards
Old 18th April 2006, 03:32 PM
styryx Offline

Yes, of course, if I didn't select the "Configure advanced boot loader options", I will otherwise not have the option to install to the partition first sector or the MBR.

But I found the Fedora Bugzilla and I already found the bug descriptions here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=183967
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=159059
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=127557

so, for now, the problem is known. And there is already mentioned, that it worked in FC 3 but no more starting from FC 4 (maybe only in specifical environments, e.g. RAID drives etc. - ?)

For me, it was another surprise in the installer, that I didn't have there an option to create Linux boot floppy, I wanted to do so

Tags
boot, grub, installing, option, or boot, record, sector, work