Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2006, 02:53 AM
Ktelpiriyan Offline

Checking FC 5 Installation CDs

I tried installing Fedora Core 5, only to find that out of the 5 CDs, only one of them passed the media check. I'm not sure if this a problem with the ISO files themselves, or with the burning. Is there any way to run the Media Check on the ISOs themselves without installing them or physically burning them to a blank CD?

I downloaded the files from the FC 5 torrent. Has anyone else who got the images from that had problems?
Old 19th April 2006, 03:01 AM
unamanic Offline

the dedora site has the sha1 of each of the ISOs. Simply run "sha1sum <ISOfilename>" on each of the ISOs and check it agains the value on the site (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download)
Old 19th April 2006, 03:04 AM
Plexxxy Offline

Wherever you download the images, there should also be a SHA1SUM file available that contains checksum info. Use the sha1sum tool to verify the images.

::edit::
Oops, a little late
Old 19th April 2006, 05:19 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

There is a media check bug with Fedora 5. if the sha1sums match, try the install again and when you get to the first screen
type #linux ide=nodma and run the mediacheck again and if they pass, continue on with the installation. If you do not
continue with the install at this point, be sure to use the same option when you do install.
Old 19th April 2006, 08:43 AM
robatino Offline

Media check bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=186512

I found that by burning the CDs using the instructions on the following page, they would pass mediacheck even without ide=nodma. Basically, if you use cdrecord, use the "-pad", "padsize=63s", and "-dao" options. Disks burned this way should be immune to the mediacheck bug. Even if your machine isn't affected, it's a good idea to burn the discs this way in case you ever use them on another box, or lend them out. I don't know if the discs are also immune to the related "missing or corrupted package" install bug since I already had a working install.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

Tags
cds, checking, installation