Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2006, 10:51 PM
nosupport Offline

Multiple MAC addresses to one NIC

I would like to bind multiple MAC addresses to one NIC. I've tried making eth0:0 and eth:1 files with different MAC addresses, but when I run '/etc/init.d/network restart' to restart the network, I just get an error on the first eth0:x file I have. The error says that Device or IPaddr is not set. IPAddr cannot be set, since these virtual NICs need to be DHCP configured. Device I tried setting to 'eth0:X' where X is 0 to 3, and I've tried setting Device to 'eth0'. Neither has worked as of yet.

I've been using http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...nterfaces.html as a reference for the available parameters.

Many of you, I'm sure, have used virtualization software by now. Consider virtual guest OSes. A single NIC machine running virtualization software can dhcp-configure its own adapter, and the virtual adapters of its guest PCs. They would all get IP addressing from the same DHCP server. Packets originating from one guest OS would be coming from THAT guest OS' IP and MAC address instead of another guest OS' address or the address of the host PC.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:19 AM
Brian1 Offline

As far as I know Alias IP does not support that feature. Closet thing I can come up with is a virtual nic like what vmware creates for the guest OSes to access networking with. Search google.com for virtual nic.

Brian1
Old 20th April 2006, 12:21 AM
nosupport Offline

is Alias IP the networking handler for Fedora?
Old 20th April 2006, 12:45 AM
Brian1 Offline

Thats is what the eth0:0 scheme is called. It is part of the kernel if built with that support.

Brian1
Old 20th April 2006, 01:22 AM
nosupport Offline

Ironically enough, googling 'virtual nic Linux' comes up with a lot of references to the eth0:0 scheme. That, VLANs (802.1q) and vmware. googling just 'virtual nic' adds in references to windows-based (ick) solutions.
I don't know why I didn't look for a virtual nic in the first place. That would likely be the best solution if only I could successfully execute it.

I found reference to a Sygate product but they were assimilated by symantec a while back.

I found mention of bond0 and bond0:0
Is that like eth0 and eth0:0? I still think the cleanest implementation would be if the kernel could handle it, but I'd be happy kernel or virtual nic. The virtual nics would be used for a 10mb/s (max collectively) internet connection, so the inefficiency of a virtual nic is negligible. Somebody must have wanted to do this before, where are they hiding?!?!?!?
Old 20th April 2006, 11:36 PM
Brian1 Offline

bond0 would be channel bonding multiple nics together as one. It would like making eth0 and eth1 look like a single nic. Never seen bond0:0 before.

Brian1
Old 21st April 2006, 12:23 AM
nosupport Offline

what's bond usually used for? Load balancing? network bridging? redundancy(failover)?
Old 21st April 2006, 11:55 PM
Brian1 Offline

Load balancing over two nics. Usually though data can come through both but out going is sometimes on going out on eth0. All depends on the hardware.

Brian1
Old 22nd April 2006, 03:41 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosupport
what's bond usually used for? Load balancing? network bridging? redundancy(failover)?
Bonding is used for load balancing over multiple nics

Tags
addresses, mac, multiple, nic