Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:46 AM
khanate Offline

Thinking of installing FC5, need to know some things.

I am a SuSE immagrant looking to try FC5 after having nothing but problems with suse 10.0 and 10.1

Few quick questions.

Whats multimedia support like? and what do i have to do to get 3rd part multimedia codecs? anythign similar to YaST?

Whats the software manager like? i ask this because i have seen a wave of different ones, i am looking for somethign similar to synaptic/yast.

Whats the 3D acceleration like with the out-of-the-box drivers? is there any at all? and if not, is it easy to install the nvidia drivers? i had major problems with 3D supoport on suse using both my 9200pro and 6600gt.

Also, what is samba like on FC5 (if it uses samba) i often lan game with a windows machine, so i need to get this set up.

Thanks for any help you can give me, cheers. Mark
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:49 AM
smfinley Offline
Retired Community Manager

A quick scan of the contents section of Fedora Core 5 Installation Notes should give you some idea as to the answers to your questions.
Old 23rd May 2006, 07:10 AM
khanate Offline

Thanks for that link.

I installed Fedoracore when i arrived home from school, already have it underway, its similar to SuSE witch i was pleased about, but the packet manager thing has me confused.

Can i add repositories to the package manager to install third party audio codecs? or should the helix engine be able to handle everyting?
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:50 PM
GL1800 Offline

Yes, you can, there are rpm packages available at both freshrpms, and livna, which will do the install of those repositories automagically. Word of warning! It can happen when you use these 3rd party repos that you encounter some issues, ie. the dreaded double install, etc. These are rare, in my experience, and usually easily sorted.

Tags
fc5, installing, things, thinking