Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:42 PM
maxxou28 Offline

FC5 and configuration raid sata card

hi,

I want to install a raid 1 controller on "supermicro xdh8g2". This model is a "intel ich5r" manufactured "adapetc" in the bios software.
Indeed, when i created the raid in bios soft, it's alllright! However, the fc5 doesn't see the raid... FC5 see only two disks respectly sda and sdb... :-(

Anybody have a idea? module etc...?

Thx

ps : sorry for my bad english
Old 23rd May 2006, 05:01 PM
Evil-I Offline

Hi There,

I've had similar problems with several bios assisted software raid chipsets (which most built in chipsets are). Windows sees them as the array you've set up, but linux sees the individual drives that are attached. I'm afraid I pretty much gave up on it, as being fairly new to linux it sounded like a lot of hassle to get it working. I've found that its generally easier to use the LVM app (Logical Volume Manager) which now has a nice GUI in FC5 and setup the RAID in software under linux. Unless the RAID chipset has onboard processing and cache RAM the performace should be pretty similar anyway.
Old 23rd May 2006, 06:19 PM
maxxou28 Offline

Re,

Yes it's a big problem because of, nobody know how proceed on! I'm ok with you on raid software and raid material (with bottom of the line): The performances are similar... However, my only question is on data security. Do you think that the raid software makes safe as well the data as the raid material ?
Old 23rd May 2006, 07:02 PM
Evil-I Offline

Difficult question, I'm afraid I've never been in a situation to test the security of the linux soft-raid as I've not had a drive failure.
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:08 PM
pewterdragn Offline

I've never lost any data using Linux software raid either by removing drives or failures.

Don't forget that RAID doesnt preclude you from having to back up your data. RAID doesn't help you if you delete something you shouldn't!
Old 24th May 2006, 08:39 AM
maxxou28 Offline

Yes, of course!
Obsiously, "mdraid" on FC5 exist for answer at the type of problem. But, i don't know how to configure "mdraid"???
Anybody knows?

thanks
Old 24th May 2006, 10:06 AM
mndar Offline

I am guessing this is a low end/eterprise level server . You might have to use the proprietery driver supplied by the manufacturer. If I recall correctly, you have to write the image to a floppy using rawwrite in Windows or dd in Linux. Then supply this driver in Disk Druid.

Tags
card, configuration, fc5, raid, sata