Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th May 2006, 08:15 PM
Armitage Offline

Cool FC5 DVD install hangs at the splash screen

I've got a new desktop at work (yea!) and I'm trying to install FC5 on it. It's an HP Compaq P4 box with a pair of SATA drives and 2GB ram.

It boots to the splashg screen OK, and I hit <enter> to start the installation. The following is displayed at the bottom of the screen:

"Loading vmlinuz...."

And then ... nothing

I know the media is good - I installed it on another box yesterday - and did the media test along the way. The box boots WinXP - at least to the login screen.

Any ideas??

Update - I tried to start the text-mode installer and memtest86 with the same result.

Last edited by Armitage; 24th May 2006 at 08:27 PM. Reason: New information
Old 24th May 2006, 08:43 PM
Armitage Offline

Nevermind - I had installed a new DVD burner before attempting the install, and forgot to set the jumper properly. Cable select & Master don't play well together on the same ribbon. It seems to be working fine now.

Tags
dvd, fc5, hangs, install, screen, splash

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search