Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2006, 05:28 PM
savio_mit_glug Offline

Question Text Mode console does not change back to GUI,

Friends,

I'm a newbie to GNU/Linux,as I'm sure you can see by my post count , but that is mainly because I usually get the solution to the problem I'm facing by just reading the responses to others' queries.This is a great fourm, by the way!! I started off with FC2 last February. Just last week I installed FC5 successfully. So far I've been able to sort out all the problems that appeared just by reading replies to others queries in forums and by Googling for the error, but there's one problem I couldn't find the solution for on the net.

The problem is this: When I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1, it goes into the text mode console as it should, and the other five text consoles also appear with no problems, but when I hit Ctrl+Alt+F7, instead of going back to the GUI, the entire screen just blanks out and I'm not able to get into the GUI at all. I've also noticed that the keyboard becomes unresponsive. For example, if I try to turn off Caps Lock while the screen is in this blanked state, the Caps Lock light still stays on. Typing startx at the terminal just says that X is already running. I tried searching the internet and also on this fourm, but I've not been able to find anything.

I have 512 + 256 MB of RAM, on an Intel 845 motherboard. If any other specs or files are required, just tell me, I'll post it.

I did not have such a problem with FC3, though I ( and all my friends in our hostel using 845 Intel Motherboards who installed FC4) had a similar problem with FC4: In FC4, even if the Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+ALt+F6 keys were hit, the screen went blank and the text mode consoles would not appear. However, once Ctrl+Alt+F7 was hit, the GUI would come back up. Till the end,none of us were able to find the solution to this problem. ( But those of us who had Intel 915 or AMD Athlon motherboards had no problems with the text mode consoles in FC4) Since all my linux user friends are away for now, I'm unable to test this problem of FC5 on another computer.Please give me a few tips, if you've faced a similar problem and solved it.

Thanks for the support.
Yours faithfully,
Savio

Last edited by savio_mit_glug; 25th May 2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 24th June 2006, 04:54 PM
marinaccio Offline

Question: After you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1, do you login again? Or not? Because I am running FC5, and it works correctly on my machine. Post back, and I will try to help you out.
Registered linux user #418499
Family Site www.MarinaccioFamily.com
Web Dev Site www.MarinaccioFamily.biz
Resume www.JosephMarinaccio.com

FC9 T5500 4Gig
IPCop 2.6Ghz 1Gig R/G/O/B
CentOS 5 Dual P3 1Gig - Dev Server

Tags
change, console, gui, mode, text