Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st June 2006, 12:02 AM
nick57 Offline

remote setting IP address from a networked machines browser

Hi,
Although I am a newcomer to Linux, I have managed to get myself involved with a relatively complicated project. I have a Linux machine and a Windows machine on a LAN, and need to be able to set the IP address of the Linux machine from a browser on the Windows machine. (Similarly to the way I can set the IP address of my networked printer from a browser.)

The solution would seem to be based in the remote access of ifconfig (e.g., something to run sudo ifconfig) with some kind of web application (perl and/or php), but I am open to other suggestions. A web search turned up something called uni-ifconfig, but I could not get it to work from the browser (it worked from the shell, however).

Security is not a big issue (right now), as there are only three users -- I just need to get it to work.

I am using Fedora Core 4, and Apache 2.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 1st June 2006, 10:25 AM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

I couldn't find any reference to uni-ifconfig with google, anyway I don't see any reason why your solution shouldn't work

Tags
address, browser, machines, networked, remote, setting