Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th June 2006, 04:37 PM
dewangpm Offline

wine: Microsoft word has not been installed for the current user.

Microsoft word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application.

Above is the error message (see attached screenshot).

What I did?
1) I installed wine and its allied utilities. Yum install wine wine-arts etc.
2) I mounted my windows partition (NTFS) under /mnt/windows
This is successful
3) I browsed winword.exe using file browser in GNOME and double clicked the winword.exe file
It opens winword but DISPLAYS ABOVE ERROR.

PLEASE SUGGEST ME HOW TO INSTALL APPLICATION as suggested in error message. PLEASE SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT.

Path to my winword.exe is C:\Programe Files\Microsoft Office\office10\winword.exe
I am using winxp and officeXP.

Please reply.
dewangpm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	631
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	8350  
Old 25th December 2010, 06:09 PM
forsakenedzero Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: wine: Microsoft word has not been installed for the current user.

same problem here ill check and tell u.
Old 26th December 2010, 02:08 AM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Wine can't run Word from your ntfs drive because it doesn't know the path to all the dll's and other parts of it. Word has to be installed on your Linux OS in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files, then it should work. If you have the installer in a local folder or on a CD click it and wine will install it for you.

However I would suggest using Open Office or one of the other open source office suites. Most can open and save in MS Office formats if you like.

Mike
Old 26th December 2010, 02:42 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDamFool

Wine can't run Word from your ntfs drive...
I thought the same thing when I saw this earlier to today. But then, to be sure, I tried it. I was surprised at the Windows applications on my NTFS XP partition that would open and run by merely double-clicking their exe file or starting them with the "Open with Wine" thing in the file manager context menu. Quicken, Savings Bond Wizard, PowerDVD, Rad Video Tools, lots of things. Not everything, but lots of them. I don't have Word, but MS Works would run and open documents and spreadsheets. There were some printer and optical drive issues, but I wasn't really interested in pursuing this because I couldn't see the advantage of it. In fact, it was kind of creepy. I'm not sure it's a good idea even if it seems to work. There may some good reason not to do this. To me, if something runs in Wine, then I would rather install the application in Fedora with Wine in the normal way as you said.

I decided not to post any comments earlier since the original post is four years old and has been viewed over four thousand times without a reply until today. And since the original poster hasn't posted again in any thread here since 2008, it seemed silly to be trying to solve this for him. But if forsakenedzero discovers something interesting about this matter, it might be generally interesting to read about it. So I thought I would wait and see what happens here.
Old 26th December 2010, 06:33 PM
forsakenedzero Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDamFool View Post
Wine can't run Word from your ntfs drive because it doesn't know the path to all the dll's and other parts of it. Word has to be installed on your Linux OS in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files, then it should work. If you have the installer in a local folder or on a CD click it and wine will install it for you.

However I would suggest using Open Office or one of the other open source office suites. Most can open and save in MS Office formats if you like.

Mike
well i do prefer using open source but unfortunately 3.3 open office for some reason doesnt support docx and i have to hand my work in docx format. no luck even when installed from the linux partition dnt know y, i am still tryin

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw this earlier to today. But then, to be sure, I tried it. I was surprised at the Windows applications on my NTFS XP partition that would open and run by merely double-clicking their exe file or starting them with the "Open with Wine" thing in the file manager context menu. Quicken, Savings Bond Wizard, PowerDVD, Rad Video Tools, lots of things. Not everything, but lots of them. I don't have Word, but MS Works would run and open documents and spreadsheets. There were some printer and optical drive issues, but I wasn't really interested in pursuing this because I couldn't see the advantage of it. In fact, it was kind of creepy. I'm not sure it's a good idea even if it seems to work. There may some good reason not to do this. To me, if something runs in Wine, then I would rather install the application in Fedora with Wine in the normal way as you said.

I decided not to post any comments earlier since the original post is four years old and has been viewed over four thousand times without a reply until today. And since the original poster hasn't posted again in any thread here since 2008, it seemed silly to be trying to solve this for him. But if forsakenedzero discovers something interesting about this matter, it might be generally interesting to read about it. So I thought I would wait and see what happens here.
well the reason i actually posted on this thread was because its the first i found when searching right in the top so i though i could write a soultion for those with the same problem, so the rest can actually benefit not the main user who started/// anyways no luck so far ill keep trying thnk u all for ur help
Old 26th December 2010, 06:47 PM
fewt Offline
Banned

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewangpm View Post
Microsoft word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application.

Above is the error message (see attached screenshot).

What I did?
1) I installed wine and its allied utilities. Yum install wine wine-arts etc.
2) I mounted my windows partition (NTFS) under /mnt/windows
This is successful
3) I browsed winword.exe using file browser in GNOME and double clicked the winword.exe file
It opens winword but DISPLAYS ABOVE ERROR.

PLEASE SUGGEST ME HOW TO INSTALL APPLICATION as suggested in error message. PLEASE SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT.

Path to my winword.exe is C:\Programe Files\Microsoft Office\office10\winword.exe
I am using winxp and officeXP.

Please reply.
dewangpm
Try this -> http://www.fewt.com/2008/06/how-to-g...g-in-wine.html

Make sure you install it using wine, and don't execute it from your Windows partition.

Tags
current, installed, microsoft, user, wine, word