Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2006, 12:07 PM
capo Offline

Audio problems: alsa + sb audigy 2 zs

EDIT: ok you can disregard everything below thats all done. I have new problems and i thought i may aswell post them in here rather than double posting. Anyway the issue is now, that even though i can hear stuff in both alsa and oss. And under alsa i can turn my mic and and i CAN hear myself taling through the mic, no voip or recording program actualy hears what i am saying. It's definatly working @ a hardware and driver level as like i said i can hear myself talk through the mic, i can here air blown across the mic etc. If i turn the mic volume down in alsa then i can nolonger here this so obviously my mic appears to be working @ the sound system level. But skype nor tea speak nor krecord pick up anything from my mick. It's liek there all configured to listen @ the wrong place? Anyone know whats going on or how to fix it?

Ok so i installed an audigy 2 zs i had from another computer in my FC5 computer and I maniged to play sound fine, but the weriod thing was: ONLY WITHH OSS. If i tired to start any sound system but oss, threaded oss, alsa, etc. i get an error. Anyway the error i get if i try to start alsa is:

erro: the device cant be opened for playback (no such device)

I am using the driver snd-emu10k1 and like i said i can play sound fine with oss, but i want to swap to alsa because my mic doesn't seem to work under oss. Anyone have any idea whats going on. I have the latest kernel as of 2 days ago and i just updated my alsa-lib and alsa-utils as of 3 seconds ago.

EDIT: ok i have no idea why but i just tried restarting the sound server again.. and it worked?? I got alsoa working now i think mic is too. Ill check back in 5 secs and post if it is so some mod and dlete this.

EDIT: mic is working aswell, fell free to delte this post, and sorry for posting too soon.

Last edited by capo; 12th June 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 19th June 2006, 01:40 AM
sthompson102 Offline

I have the same prob

i would try the CA0106 driver.
Old 26th June 2006, 07:44 AM
capo Offline

Well firstly according to the alsa webpage i am using the correct driver for my card, and seoncdly how the hell do i install a sound card drivfer. The intruction @ the alsa webpage were woefully inadiquite. I didn't give any mention atll of were the driver actualy is, do i need to dl it from somewhere. If i already have it somewhere, then where?? Also to me this does not seem like a driver issue as like i already said alsa is correctly operating my mic as i can hear stuff through the mic when the alsa volume is up, but if i turn mic volume down i nologer can, hence alsa must be reocnizing and controlling my mic. And yet no actual programs are hearing my mic?? Sound more like a sound system issue to me but it happens under gnome and KDE??
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:09 AM
Zenith88 Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
I am having exactly same problem which started after upgrading to F12.

I can hear myself talking into the mic, but Skype is not picking that up.

If run from console, Skype throws an error: shm_open() failed: Permission denied
Permissions on /dev/shm in F12 (41775) are different from those in F11 (41777)

Is there any program that can simply record voice to test that recording is possible?

Tags
alsa, audigy, audio, problems