Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2006, 05:24 PM
buddha Offline

yumex users beware

FYI, yumex users might want to read this post from the fedora-list email list describing problems using yumex and SELinux.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg01833.html

I don't use yumex myself so I don't have any first-hand experience with this issue.
Old 14th June 2006, 06:06 PM
Paul_Vandenberg Offline

I used to use Yumex, but with FC5, I find the combination of Pirut and Pup good enough. I find them faster to get into than Yumex.
Old 21st June 2006, 05:37 PM
rgaelzer Offline

I got some white hair trying to update my system with yumex, which is what I used to do since FC3. The issues with yumex in FC5 are described in several threads, including http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=113678

However, I regret that yumex is (seems to be) no longer an option for fedora. Its funcionality exceeds both pup and pirut together (or at least seems to, IMHO) and its centralized access to either updates or installs makes things easier. For instance, yumex allows easy selection on which repo you want your rpm from. This is useful since some repos have dependencies conflicts (like livna and freshrpms) and I could find no way to get this level of control with pirut...
Old 21st June 2006, 05:48 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I use Yumex with FC-5 and no problems at all, however I do have SELinux disabled. As to it not being available or an option???? It's certainly available and updated regularly. Kyum and Synaptic are also available as is SmartRPM. You have MANY choices.

And, while an interesting topic and possibly has some relevance to those machines which have not had a selinux-policy update to 2.2.25-3.fc5, I would question the "beware" on a piece of very valuable software that is well-maintained by one of our members, Mit.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 21st June 2006, 07:07 PM
rgaelzer Offline

[QUOTE=bob] As to it not being available or an option???? It's certainly available and updated regularly. [QUOTE]

What I meant was that it seems to be unreliable, since several people are reporting yum/yumex problems with update/remove. You just have to browse through some threads in this forum to get my point.

I would like very much to keep on using yumex, since I find it extremely useful (much more than pup/pirut). However, I will refrain from using it for the time being, because I don't want to wreck my system once again, and go through the hassle of install/update/configure all over again...

Perhaps it's an issue only to systems that use SELinux, which is my case, but I wouldn't know. Anyway, what I would like to know is if this problem is reported to some bugzilla somewhere, so that I could get informed when the bug is fixed and yumex is safe again.
Old 21st June 2006, 07:18 PM
rgaelzer Offline

Ok! The aparent solution was really given some time ago in thread https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg01833.html

Thus, it seems safe to use yumex once you have upgraded selinux-policy at least to version 2.2.25-3.fc5. I will try to use yumex again, hopefully with no unexpected results...
Old 21st June 2006, 08:06 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Yes, and if you DO have problems, Mit would like to hear from you. He's trying very hard to keep make his software as user-friendly and bug-free as possible. Heck, call him at 3AM - I'm sure he'd appreciate it. The home number is ....... gee, it's changed, wonder why?
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 21st June 2006, 11:13 PM
dwflo Offline

I continue to use Yumex with FC5, never have had any problems installing or updating my system. I have SELinux enabled, as each update corrects many issues that occure.
I have Apt/Synaptic installed and use it occasionally. I have used Kyum and Smart, all seem to work for me as expected, Yumex works faster and I prefer the ability to select repositories by making profiles.
As for dependency issues, enabling all the repositories together can resolve most of them, with my experiances.
Registered Linux #395226 running Fedora 7 x86_64
"Three men were walking on a wall, Feeling, Faith and Fact.
Feeling took an awful fall and Faith was taken back.
But Fact remained both strong and true and that brought back Faith and Feeling too!"
Old 21st June 2006, 11:36 PM
Lopov Offline

I have no problems with Yumex and I'm using FC4 at the moment.
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:13 AM
weinerdogus Offline

I too have been using yumex since the early days (of yumex) and have never encountered a problem.

Registered Linux User 394169
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:20 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

I am a big fan of Yumex as well. Used it forever and Mit does a wonderful job on this project. As Bob said, just drop him a note if you have a problem or a question and I am sure he will respond right away.
Cheers
Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:22 AM
jbannon Offline

Yeah, me too. Been using it since I installed FC4 and now on FC5 with no bother at all apart from the usual stuff that the cache sometimes gets corrupted but then you get that with the command line tool anyway. I also have Selinux enabled. Mind you, I always immediately update my system using 'yum upgrade' after a rebuild before I install anything else.
(Registered Linux User #405603 :) )
Old 22nd June 2006, 05:04 AM
Omega Blue Offline

I use yumex when I want to install an optional package.

Tags
beware, users, yumex