Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:23 AM
tgoose Offline

Network boot another distro from FC5?

I'm not neccesarily looking at doing this from FC5 in the long run, but I'm trying to boot a computer using files off another, not to install the OS but to completely run off the other. Since FC5 is the only distro I have that I'm prepared to fiddle around with at the minute, I thought I'd learn how on this, provided it's possible to boot a different distribution (different kernel, even?) from FC5 which will be running.

Basically, I'd like to load a smaller distro, something like DSL or similar onto a PC by having all the files on this one. I've looked at tutorials using TFTP and things but I get pretty lost because they tend to be tailed towards a different distro and I don't know what to do differently and I find that files aren't there &c. (I tried http://www.ofb.net/~jheiss/netboot_linux/ the most).

Really I'd like some kind of idiot's guide to network booting, ideally tailored to FC5 so I can actually use it (my ultimate ambition is to network boot OSX onto x86, difficult though it may be).

Also is it possible to use wireless cards for network booting? If that's possible it'd make things a lot more useful.

Thank you for your time,

Thomas.

Tags
boot, distro, fc5, network