Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th June 2006, 12:48 AM
duden Offline

Question *** Newbie *** ADSL Connection Modem Conexant

I got a Toshiba Laptop Satellite 1410 and an ADSL modem with Chipset Falcon 2P Conexant® monochip. I installed FC5 succesfully on my laptop. My problems are basically three: 1) I can't find the linux drivers for this modem; 2) I can't find where to configure the internet connection in FC5 and, finally, 3) when I find 1) and 2) I would like how to install and configure.

a linux newbie

* External ADSL Modem Silver and Black. Chipset Falcon 2P Conexant® monochip version (small power consuming, thus high suitable also for notebook). Interface USB. Internet Connection up to 8Mbps. "Hot" Plug&Play. Data&Voice on the same line. Compatible with Win98/ME/2000/XP, site of the manufacturer: http://www.atlantisland.it/scheda_pr...1&language=ing
Old 26th June 2006, 07:57 AM
dmizer Offline

took a look at the manufacture site. you're going to have problems with that little device. it's USB. is this a device that your provider issued you? if so, i strongly suggest you talk to your provider and request an ethernet based modem.

usb is very weak for an adsl connection. it's slower than cat5, and usb really is not meant to handle that kind of data transfer, so it's not stable ... even in windows.

if you're really attached to this modem and you have no other options ... about all i can say is: good luck.
Old 26th June 2006, 01:26 PM
duden Offline

Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes. that is the device my provider issued me. I', changing provider, cause I'm not satisfied with him. Under windows the modem has no problem. I think I must buy an ethernet based modem, can you suggest me wich modem I should buy? An then, is it possible to attach this modem to the laptop? My ground idea is to let the laptop handle as a firewall that gives the connection to the desktop (winxp). In the language Institut where I work we have an old celeron 400 with linux cop 1.4 and it works great. I thought something like this, but with a user friendly distro, so that in case of need I can work also with the laptop under winxp.
What do you think of Netgear ADSL Firewall Router Model DG834, is this good for my purposes?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Old 26th June 2006, 02:07 PM
brandor Offline

I might be missing something, but why would you need a linux driver for a DSL modem?

Connect the modem to the phone line.
Connect the modem to a switch.
Connect your laptop to the switch.

That should be all you need to do.
Old 27th June 2006, 01:01 AM
dmizer Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandor
I might be missing something, but why would you need a linux driver for a DSL modem?
because it's a usb modem, not an ethernet modem. and because it's a usb modem, a hub/router/switch solution won't work either. and also because it is usb, it will require a driver to work.

if you are in a position where you will need to purchase your own modem, netgear is as good a name as any other. netgear, linksys, dlink, buffalo ... all good names to pick from. some people will prefer netgear over linksys, and some will prefer linksys over dlink for example, but for the most part, there's not much difference.

as long as you have an ethernet card in your laptop, and an ethernet based connection, there will be no drivers necessary to make your internet work.

i wouldn't suggest using a laptop as a router/firewall. this will require significant up times where the computer will be on for days and days. as a general rule, this type of service is not very healthy for a laptop. if you wish to make a linux firewall/dhcp server, my suggestion to you is to pick up an old desktop computer. most distributions have directions to get a server online even without a monitor attached (headless installs).
Old 27th June 2006, 07:44 AM
duden Offline

Thank you again to all. I begin to understand what to do. I thought to use the laptop because it consumes less power than a desktop (perhaps 50-70 W vs. 250-300, if I'm not wrong). The laptop is relatively old (celeron 1800, 384 MB RAM) and I intend to buy another to use like a desktop (so called desktop replacement) with an external monitor (I got a fantastic SyncMaster 913N). The 2 batteries of my laptop are gone and so the commercial value of it is near 200 EURO (consider that an average palmtop costs at least 300 EURO, what can be the problem? Unfortunately I need winxp because of some programs like word, excel and powerpoint. I now and I use openoffice but "only office is compatible with office". I know linux since 10 years but I'm not so good in the use of it because I lack practical experience. Best regards
Old 27th June 2006, 07:59 AM
dmizer Offline

your least power consuming solution is going to be a 2 in 1, router/modem like the netgear DG834 you mentioned earlier. firewalls available in routers are quite adequate. if power consumption is a priority, i don't suggest employing a computer as a router and dhcp server.

Tags
adsl, conexant, connection, modem, newbie