Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd July 2006, 01:59 AM
jamo Offline

ASUS Laptop Modem, and Wireless problems

Hello Forum!

I have installed fedora (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5) on my ASUS Z8100 laptop. The install went perfectly, but did not pick up my modem or my wireless card. Here is lspci's output:

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
00:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ac)
00:09.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ac)
00:09.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
1) Has anybody got a AC'97 modem going on a laptop? I have tried installing the modem driver from www.linmodems.org, which seemed to install properly, but on reboot it came up with a massive error when starting udev, and would not continue booting, which brings me to my second question...

2) Is there a way to recompile the kernel, and kernel modules incase this happens again? I realise that I can boot into the system using "rescue linux", but where to from here? In the end I just reinstalled the whole system, but this doesn't seem like the ideal way of fixing the problem.

3) My wireless adapter doesn't seem to be detected. I think it is a usb wirless adapter, but I don't know where to start as lspci doesn't seem to pick it up. Does anybody know a good hardware diagnostic tool in linux?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:18 AM
jamo Offline

Well seeing as nobody else is replying, this is what I have found out so far...

1) - There are drivers avaliable here http://dag.wieers.com/packages for HSF modems. I havn't tried any yet.

3) - You can find out information on your USB devices using "lsusb". You may need to 'yum install usbutils' if its not installed, and will need to specifiy -v (verbose mode) in order to see anything useful. Aparently mine is a ASUSTek USB2.0 WLAN device.
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:54 AM
MAnix Offline

ok, try this guide out:

http://www.manix-place.co.uk/wireless.html

this will get you started on what you need to do to get it to work. hope this helps....

sorry if you had to wait a while too.
Old 8th July 2006, 07:31 AM
jamo Offline

Thanks Manix,

I have installed ndiswrapper using livna no problems, and it seems to run properly. I have copied across my driver, and loaded it into ndiswrapper, which happily says that the driver (sis162u) is installed, and the hardware is present. I ran depmod -a, and modprobe ndiswraper which seems to work fine. I can then go into system-config-network, and add a new wirless adapter (wlan0 (ndiswrapper), but when i try to activate it, it says:

ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. Not surprisingly, when i run /sbin/iwconfig, wlan0 isn't listed.

Im not sure what to try next?
Old 8th July 2006, 07:07 PM
oloeriubogdan Offline

This is just another question!
Have you tried too contact the support squad on www.asus.com?
I知 very interested in what is there solution on this problem. I know I deed that just too times. Once they really helped me, and once no.
I知 interested on your problem because I知 planning too by an ASSUS laptop too.

One more thing: I知 just guessing that the internal modem is a winmodem, there for, there is no chance for you to find Linux drivers for that one. I hope I知 wrong.
Old 9th July 2006, 03:53 AM
jamo Offline

Yep, it is a win modem, and there are drivers available, but nobody has created an RPM for my kernel (only 2.4), and linmodems one seemed to work, but as I said previously, stuffed up udev. I havn't looked at creating one because we are getting broadband soon, and I'm still new to linux

Thanks for the tip regarding contacting ASUS...I'll give them a shot.

As far as everything else on the laptop goes, it runs fine - sound, eth0 etc....
Old 14th July 2006, 02:31 AM
jamo Offline

I contacted ASUS. They didn't want to know, becuase ASUS do not support Linux on their laptops.

Ive tried using SLMODEM for dialup - it creates the device, but its unusable.

I have no idea about how to fix the problem with either my modem or WLAN.

I think im going to have to say farewell to Fedora after all.
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:19 PM
jamo Offline

Alright, Ive had some sucess - wireless now appears to be working! I think it may have been because I tried using the source version, but as it didnt compile i just went to using livna's version - but didnt uninstall the source version first. So I uninstalled it, and kmod-ndiswrapper and reinstalled it using livna, and it worked!

Very happy!
Old 23rd July 2006, 07:56 AM
jamo Offline

Okey, I'm having another bash trying to install slmodem... Ive yum'ed slmodem-alsa from livna, and ran
modprobe snd-intel8x0m ....then....
/usr/sbin/slmodemd --alsa --country=NEW_ZEALAND hw:0, and it says:

error: mixer setup: Off-hook switch not found for card hw:0
SmartLink Soft Modem: Version 2.9.11 Mar 30 2006 00:30:39
symbolic link /dev/ttySL0 -> /dev/pts/3
modem hw:0 created. TTY is /dev/pts/3
Modem Device: /dev/ttySL0

When I try access the device, it comes up with this:

error: cannot set channels for playback: Invalid argument.

Considering the number of responses Ive had thus far Im pretty sure nobody will know how to fix this, but you never know.
Old 9th March 2007, 02:00 AM
jamo Offline

Hi all,

I have finally found a driver for my wireless adapter - ASUSTek USB2.0 WLAN device. It is called zd1211rw, and you can get more info about it here.

http://zd1211.ath.cx/wiki/

Between that and http://www.manix-place.co.uk/wireless.html, you should be able to get it going. (Its already built into the standard Fedora kernel, so just modprobe and follow the advice at mainx).

Hope this helps somebody out.

Cheers,
Ben.
Old 9th March 2007, 11:50 AM
Brass Offline

If your still having problems

If your still having problems let me know, ive got an ASUS A4D and had similar problems with ASUS.

My drivers a ZD1211u and ive got it working perfectly.

Let me know via PM.

Tags
asus, laptop, modem, problems, wireless