Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 8th July 2006, 11:18 AM
rantanplan Offline

Unhappy All kernel above 2133 disconnects randomly from DSL internet connection

I have DSL flatrate connection with an Fritz!Box Router/Modem.
Never had problems until i updated to kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5.i686.
I hoped it's temporarily and thought it's gone with kernel-2.6.17-1.2145_FC5.i686. But
still the same problem. I am now at kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5.i686 and all works fine.
So i think it's definitely a problem with the newest kernels.

With kernel 2139 or 2145 i tried to fiddle around somehow but don't know exactly how. ifconfig shows
eth0 is all ok. I use usb connection.

It's not really disconnecting as i have still my VoiceOverIP telephone connection. So it doesnt disconnect from dsl but the connection is at one point stucked. And firefox is not possible to connect to any site.
Even the WebFrontend for the router is not accessible.

Any ideas what have changed that i have this problems ?

Thanks

Last edited by rantanplan; 8th July 2006 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Better problem description
Old 20th July 2006, 01:47 AM
rapik Offline

Some Problem

Hi.....This happend too me...i dont know what is the problem....iam using the old old (2.6.15....) kernel because some problem.......I hope anybody help us.....

See you.....
Old 20th July 2006, 01:09 PM
ganesanrajesh Offline

same to me

Yes, it happens to me too. Especially when I use network manager. When I turn NM service off and use system-control-network, everything works fine.
Old 24th July 2006, 01:21 AM
rantanplan Offline

I thought it could be the usb kernel module or something with firestarter because i get errors foriptables is not available etc. and firestarter.lock can not be accessed. I don't have the right errors i will write it down.
Maybe someone of you find a solution.

@ganesanrajesh
i tried to disable the NM but no difference. After some time. The connection (especially at downloads) stands still. No error only void.....

cu
Old 25th July 2006, 07:51 AM
VisezTrance Offline

Hello
I think i'm having the same problem. I'm using fedora core 5 as a router, and after a full update my internet connection sometimes just stops. I have to restart the network service to get the internet working again and firestarter to get internet sharing work *again*. I'm using a usb cable modem. The problem is that i didn't knew what has caused this (until reading this thread), so a day later i did another full update, and the kernel was updated again, and i can't boot using the precedent kernel. How did you roll back to a 2.6.1.x kernel ?
Old 25th July 2006, 10:05 AM
rantanplan Offline

Lightbulb

You can download the older kernel-RPM manually from the fedora servers and then install as root
with yum --localinstall <package>. This worked for me. The good thing is. Even if you make 'yum update' and there is a newer kernel. This kernel which you installed manually will not be overwritten. It's now forever ....

The other thing to this problem is i disconnected my dsl router/modem from usb and switched to LAN-cable.
Until now all seems to me pretty good. I try some greater downloads and we will see....
My thoughts are, as i mentioned above, there IS something with the usb-module which lacks sometimes with dsl routers/modems. But i don't figure out what it is.

The strange thing i had now since yesterday is that i got a boot message, right after udev, which said that in '/etc/modprobe.conf' line 6 an illegal entry is. There was 'option usbnet'. I deleted it manually. The error-message is gone.

And still the messages. firestarter can't remove lock from /var/lock/firestarter. I DISABLED firestarter. Only having iptables running. And still this message ? What is here wrong ?
Also 'can't enable eth0' as boot but after that all is running.

Would be nice if anyone has a solution.

cu
Old 25th July 2006, 01:33 PM
VisezTrance Offline

I did a yum local install as you said .. and it works!
(it usually would have disconnected within 2 minutes if i had the network dispatcher service activated)
Many thanks. I hope this issue will be fixed soon.
By the way .. "can't remove lock from /var/lock/firestarter." .. i had this message during boot up, however firestarter still worked well.
I think i should buy another network card and stop using the USB ..
Old 25th July 2006, 01:37 PM
rantanplan Offline

Talking

Yep, thats it. Until now, about 4 hours and many files downloaded, i had no connection breakup.
Try an network-cable and don't use USB anymore. It works well now.
Maybe they get this fixed in FC6 or another kernel.

cu
Old 30th July 2006, 08:03 PM
cmsps Offline

I'm suffering from this one too! My question is: where do you download the old kernel RPM from? I've looked all over the Fedora site and can't find any.

TIA
Peter
Old 31st July 2006, 06:13 AM
VisezTrance Offline

The exact kernel i downloaded was this one http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...3_FC5.i586.rpm
In my haste to make the internet connection work i've downloaded the first kernel i could find, even though i don't have a SMP machine . Works great.
Old 31st July 2006, 05:36 PM
rantanplan Offline

Thumbs down USB or LAN cable

My question to you all is:
Has anyone of you who has this problem his router wired with USB cable ? Or does anyone has this
problem with LAN cable (ethernet card, on-board or PCI) ?

How i said above. Since i switched to Ethernet LAN cable the problem is gone and i can use the latest kernel.

@cmsps
I used the kernel-2.16 2133. It's no longer at the Fedora Site. Try rpmseek or google.
SMP is not needed and recommended. Look for i686 architecture if you have Athlon etc. (newer processor).
Thank you.

Last edited by rantanplan; 31st July 2006 at 05:43 PM.

Tags
2133, connection, disconnects, dsl, internet, kernel, randomly